Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helen of Troy review
I rented Helen of Troy yesterday, out of curiosity. And since the board’s been a bit slow lately, I’ll try my hand at movie reviewing!<br>
<br>
(ahem) Costuming:<br>
Not bad, overall. Though many people (military and civilian alike) are shod in Roman army caligae, there are definitely enough Corinthians and chaitons to make this feel like ancient Greece! I didn’t see one Roman gladius or pugio, all were the Greek style (no falcata, though); the spears, however, were all well short of the well recorded 18’ length. The Trojan soldiers appear to be wearing Roman cavalry helmets similar to the Aux Cav A model, with long, knob-mounted horsehair crests, no doubt to better distinguish them from the Corinthian-wearing Greeks. Another anachronism: the dreaded leather lorica segmentata makes a very brief appearance. But those cool Figure-8 shaped shields (the Greek style, not the later Celtic ones) are sprinkled nicely amongst the Greek hoplon-pattern ones. A quick word about crested Corinthian helmets: they have an immense visual impact that the Roman helmets, even with crests, simply can’t match, IMHO… this movie really make that apparent!<br>
<br>
The Hollywood Image Of The Bad Guy: you guessed it, the forces of Sparta and Mycenae [the ones attacking Troy] are clad predominantly in black, and many even sport black-painted (or blued) Corinthians. (I may be mistaken, but weren’t the Spartans all about <em>red?)</em><br>
<br>
Most impressive scene: seeing dozens of Greek soldiers leaping off the sides of the biremes, into water [over their heads in one shot), fully armed with crested Corinthians, hoplon shields, and cuirasses (both bronze and linen). From there, they fight their way ashore, while Trojan archers on the bluffs take a heavy toll, <em>a la</em> Saving Pvt Ryan.<br>
<br>
Second most impressive scene: At one point during an all-out melee between the Greeks and the Trojans, [the Spartan] King Menalaus spies Helen observing the battle from a parapet above. The action entirely freezes, but for him and her… he walks towards her, while combatants are frozen in bloody embrace all around… there are even arrows stopped in mid flight (that one threw me for a loop! CGI, of course). Then, when he looks away from her, the hell of close combat, ancient world style, resumes (and the arrows suddenly shoot forward from their stationary mid-flight position)… a great scene.<br>
<br>
Third most impressive: simply seeing the Aegean Sea filled with hundreds of oncoming Greek warships! Again, CGId no doubt, but thrilling to behold… the real thing must have looked something similar.<br>
<br>
Casting: some, like King Priam and Agamemnon (played by the same actor that portrayed Count Agmar in Knight‘s Tale… coolly Mediterranean-looking), appeared absolutely perfect for their depicted period and location. Most others were nondescript enough to make it all work. The only glaringly stupid choice was that of Achilles: a tall, painfully Caucasian with a shaved head, which effectively reduced the towering Greek hero of legend to a skinhead, to our misfortune. And not just in appearance; Achilles is portrayed as a very one-dimensional character, mindlessly thirsting for blood. Indeed, the historic scene where he killed Paris’ brother Hector, then drags his body off behind his chariot, is turned into a marathon performance of Achilles driving his chariot around in circles, Hector’s body in tow, seemingly for hours (the sun actually sets, and he’s still at it!), whipping his horses and screaming to the thong of cheering Greek soldiers… one thinks the fun would have wore off after the first few hours.<br>
<br>
The Trojan Horse scene was well done, with the horse looking like it was <em>definitely</em> hewn out of raw lumber and held together by hammered iron. Nice job overall.<br>
<br>
Historical anachronisms: the movie makes no mention of the well-know feud between [nominal allies] Achilles and Agamemnon. Also, the Greeks are shown as the besiegers, and the Trojans the besieged. Homer tells us that the Greeks, with their ships beached onshore, were actually often under attack by the Trojans, who themselves set up camp <em>outside</em> their walls, not inside.<br>
<br>
Still, did the film make me wanna run out and buy a crested Corinthian helmet? HELL YEAH!<br>
<br>
See you at the movies!<br>
<br>
Darius <p></p><i></i>
Darius,<br>
Sorry it took so long to respond, but think you deserve a response. I put forth these points (not in attack) but to sharpen up our minds for the future assaults from Hollywood ("Troy," "Hannibal," Gladiator II"). I agree with much of what you say, Rufus Sewell as Agamemmnon captured the madenss and greed of Homer and Aeschylus perfectly. The rest (except for John Rhys-Davies as Priam) stank. I thought the costumes were equally stupid; film designers don't even bother to study sources anymore and can't quite distinguish a chlamys from an himation or a chiton any more than they can a toga.<br>
<br>
"The Trojan soldiers appear to be wearing Roman cavalry helmets similar to the Aux Cav A model, with long, knob-mounted horsehair crests, no doubt to better distinguish them from the Corinthian-wearing Greeks." I took these to be cheap plastic vac-u-form attempts at the Mycenaean boars-tusk helmet (but on the Trojans?). I hated the casting and acting to their Achilles (Joe Montana) but "Indeed, the historic scene where he killed Paris’ brother Hector, then drags his body off behind his chariot, is turned into a marathon performance of Achilles driving his chariot around in circles, Hector’s body in tow, seemingly for hours (the sun actually sets, and he’s still at it!), whipping his horses and screaming to the thong of cheering Greek soldiers… one thinks the fun would have wore off after the first few hours. " I have to take serious issue with you here. This was one of the only truly Homeric aspects of the film. What was left out of "Helen" was Achilles motivation for his obsessive rage for Patroclus' death at Hector's hands. His exaltation of rage over Hector's body lasts for days-the funeral games of book 23 and the whole point of Priam's covert mission to Achilles tent to beg for his son's body back.<br>
<br>
And I really have to disagree with "Also, the Greeks are shown as the besiegers, and the Trojans the besieged. Homer tells us that the Greeks, with their ships beached onshore, were actually often under attack by the Trojans, who themselves set up camp outside their walls, not inside. " There are really only three major battle scenes in the Iliad (aside from challenge duels and reconnaissance skirmishes (Book 10). After Aphrodite saves Paris from Menelaus in Book 3, "the truce erupts in war" from Books 4 through 8. Then night falls and Agamemmnon sends a mission to Achilles to beg his return. The Greeks had built a moat and rampart stockade to protect their camp and ships from attack, but the only mention in Homer of the Trojans camped outside the walls is at the end of book 8 where Hector plans to break the siege the next day with an early morning assault. The Trojans bivouac around fires outside the walls for one night only. Books 11-17 are all the same battle the next day, where Hector succeeds in breaching the Greek rampart and threatening the ships. He also succeed in killing Achilles' beloved friend Patroclus. The next day, Book 19, Achilles returns to battle which climaxes with Hector's death in Book 22. All the battles in the Iliad take place on the plain between the Trojan walls and the Greek camp, except for Hector's assault on the ships in 12-13.<br>
<br>
I think the real problem of the film is that it is called "Helen of Troy" probably based on Robert Wise's 1956 film; which was in every way superior to this one. But all suffer from trying to make Paris (how can I say this with all the admonitions about children reading these) that "kitty-bottomed" worm into a brave, romantic hero and Helen, who even calls herself a slutty whore in Homer, into a nice, sweet victimized heroin. The Trojan War has really never gotten anything like it deserved from the movies. I'm already cringing at the prospect of "Troy."<br>
<br>
How about some more discussion on the really good CG Horse and ships?<br>
<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
Lucius Cornelius Libo<br>
[email protected] <br>
www.togaman.com <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=togaman>Togaman</A> at: 9/27/03 5:36 pm<br></i>
I have to agree with most of the comments. I think the new version was definately worth a watch as there were soem good scenes in it. I have a copy of the original 50's HoT and like it better.<br>
<br>
I didn't care for how they portrayed Achilles also. Homer lays out prety clearly Achilles behaviours, actions and motivations. Little fo the feud with Agememnon was covered, and nothing made of the death of the Patroclus, which sent Achilles into the rage with led to Hector being dragged around the city. So we're basically left with an impression carefully cultivated of Achilles being some hyped up triple-X like sociapath.<br>
<br>
But hey, there are no perfect movies. I'm still glad they made it and I'm still glad I watched it.<br>
<br>
Los<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Los

aka Carlos Lourenco