Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nisean horses in Britain
I was curious if there has been any research done concerning the Nisean horse in Britain. Is there any evidence of the Sarmatian's horses having been bred on the island? It is interesting because after the Roman's withdrew, as far as I know, the Sarmatian's were left there. If the Iazyges stayed and never returned to the mainland then where did their horses go?
[attachment=250]Niseanhorse.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Rhiannon (remember to add your real name),

I'm not sure what information you've used about any Sarmatians in Britain, but as far as we know, apart from a group in the 2nd century AD, no large numbers were transported to Britain (we know however that they were settled in Gaul and Italy during the 4th century), nor that 'they remained behind when the Romans withdrew'.

I add that last one because 'the Romans' never withdrew from Britain, and if any Sarmatians were still in Britain by the early 5th century, they may have remained there with the rest of the troops until they disbanded after the pay no longer arrived.

Whether the Sarmatians in Ribchester or elsewhere bred their own horses I could not say. It would certainly be strange for any regular unit to use their own special bredd of horses, instead of using the horses that the Roman army used. No evidence points to such an out-of-the-ordinary situation. There has indeed been much speculation about Sarmatians in Britain, but usually without a shred of evidence to support such speculation. As long as no remains of such horses is found (and of course there may be be such evidence that I'm not aware of), I think we must the Sarmatians in Britain as armed, clothed and fed by the Roman army, like every other auxilia unit.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I was curious if there has been any research done concerning the Nisean horse in Britain. It is interesting because after the Roman's withdrew, as far as I know, the Sarmatian's were left there. If the Iazyges stayed and never returned to the mainland then where did their horses go?
[attachment=250]Niseanhorse.jpg[/attachment]

No offense intended, but I agree with Robert. There never was a "Roman abandonment" of Britain; the isle was Roman until 476.

As for Iazyges, they were popularized by Littleton & Malcor as far more influential than history indicates. (Both L and M websites have folded, and this whole idea has been discredited.) Iazyges used short swords, light armor, and standard-sized horses, probably not much different than the cob. If any larger mounts arrived, they came with later contingents, the Equites Taifali Seniors and Juniors, who probably had Alans in their cultural mix. But even these larger breeds would have been exceptions beyond standard Roman cavalry breeding.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb