Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now\'t like a sweaty legionary...
Can any of you help me find a reference to a saying of Caesar (I think). It goes something like 'my soldiers fight equally as well when they stink of perfume' but I can't place where it's from, and i could do with the reference for a footnote in my dissertation. Any ideas about where to look or a proper citation would be greatfully received.<br>
<br>
That or a slap for making it up <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Right off the top of my head, Suetonius; but I'll track it down.<br>
<br>
Any response to my "Red Togata" challenge yet?<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
Lucius Cornelius Libo<br>
[email protected] <br>
www.togaman.com <p></p><i></i>
Cheers, what was your red togata challenge? <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
1. specifically, Suetonius I:lxvii Divus Julius" (67) "...iactare solitus milites suos etiam unguentos bene pugnare posse." (Loeb) "...being in the habit of boasting that his soldiers could fight well even when reeking of perfume."<br>
<br>
2. I been emailing via EZboard link and querying via Civtalk and other links about repeated claims by you to have pictorial evidence of "togatae" in red. At the moment, I'm not on my own terminal, so I have to be circumspect, but check out a link/thread "Messalina" in Civtalk for fuller details. This is bigger than you might realize.<br>
<br>
WH <p></p><i></i>
Thanks for that. check your ezboard mail on the red toga issue. I'll explain there. <p></p><i></i>