Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marian reforms
Hey, I'm working on a term paper on reforms of the Roman military during the Roman republic, and I was wondering if anyone could point me toward a book that deals with General Marius or his reforms of the Roman military.<br>
<br>
Some of the journal articles I have read on the subject seem assert that Marius was much less important in shaping the form of the Roman military than earlier historians had considered him. Would anyone have an opinion on whether this is good history or part of the revisionist trend to spread credit around, or even better, a reference to a discussion of such a topic in a journal or book?<br>
<br>
Thanks much,<br>
<br>
PJ <p></p><i></i>
Try chapter 2 of Lawrence Keppie's "The Making of the Roman Army", Batsford 1984. Clear and concise, and well-argued.<br>
<br>
Shaun <p></p><i></i>
Thanks for that, it should be helpful. Anyone else with possible sources? <p></p><i></i>
How about R.E. Smith, <em>Service in the Post-Marian Army</em> (Manchester 195? <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Paul Justinius et al Salvete!<br>
<br>
I have been rereading a newly reprinted biography of Sulla, entitled "Sulla the Fortunate" that gives a great deal of information on Marius' reforms and leadership style, in contrast to Sulla's, of course. Though origianlly published in 1924, it counterbalances the romanticized portraits of each that McCullough's novels convey. (Though I admit, I was and am a big fan of the series, but I do not confuse the fictional narrative with primary sources). I wish I could remember the author's name, but it is not handy at the moment. I think it was Baker? I'll repost when I have it. Though of course focused on the enigma of Sulla and his subtle influence on decades of Roman history that followed, the analysis ofMarius' military and political influence (or lack of it on Sulla) I found striking and informative. The author has a real ruthless ironic flair for capturing personality quirks.<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
Lucius Cornelius Libo<br>
[email protected] <br>
www.togaman.com <p></p><i></i>
G.P. Baker is the author of <em>Sulla the Fortunate</em>. Though I do not think my university's library has that particular title, perhaps I will be able to order it from another library.<br>
<br>
Thanks all of you for the input. <p></p><i></i>
Yep, that the one. I was pretty sure about the Baker, but I didn't want to guess about the initials. Since you mentioned term paper, you might try the articles in the Oxford Classical Dictionary for their recommended sources or bibliographies. I have a cheap paperback reprint (college bookstore or Barnes and Noble). But since you're doing Marian reforms, it might not be exactly what you need. I do, however, think the portrait and discussion of Marius and his impact on the legions and Roman politics is masterful. Baker's concentration is on how Sulla used the reforms and his own personality traits against him.<br>
<br>
<br>
WH<br>
Togaman <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=togaman>Togaman</A> at: 9/18/03 11:34 pm<br></i>
I thought I'd summarize the chapter on the Marian reforms in "The Complete Roman Army" by Adrian Goldsworthy.<br>
<br>
1. Abolition of property/land qualification for legionaries. Resulted in more professional class, rather like cricket, now I think about it.<br>
<br>
2. Replacement of eagle, horse, bull, wolf and boar standards with silver eagle.<br>
<br>
3. Soldiers no longer provided their own equipment - all issued by state.<br>
<br>
4. Maniple replaced as basic tactical unit by cohorts. (Not sure about this one)<br>
<br>
5. Last and most interesting - The creation of a professional class form the poorest sections of Roman society made no allowance for life after the legions. This helped to create generals who were expected to win land and wealth for their men. (My example : The sale of enemy warriors taken as slaves often went to the legions themselves - reminds me of the British navy prize system as a motive) Loyalty shifted in this way from state to individual "which in time destroyed the Republican system and led to the creation of the Principate, a monarchy in all but name."<br>
<br>
Thought you might find this useful. It's a good book <br>
<br>
Conn <p></p><i></i>