Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC The Rise and Fall of an Empire
About the Numantines, i think they were portrayed more like iberians from the east coast of ancient Hispania, with falcatae, round shields (caetrae), small round pectoral plates and another iberian style stuff, than men belonging to a celtic people as they historically were.

regards

LVCIVS SERGIVS ANTONINVS
SI VIS PACEM COLE IVSTITIAM

NVLLA SINE DIGNITATE FELICITAS

LVCIVS SERGIVS ANTONINVS - Toni Sagarra
@Nathan Ross, thanks! I am going to check out Private Lives of Pompeii.
I really liked the series, and it is a little too much to nitpick about not showing trenches at Alesia, this is meant to educate "common" people in a movie type form. If you want to see something in depth, watch "Decisive Battles". How much can you ask out of a 1hr historical movie?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Quote:I am going to check out Private Lives of Pompeii.
Let me know if you find a copy of it anywere! It's a pretty rare thing nowadays.
Nathan Ross
Quote:I really liked the series, and it is a little too much to nitpick about not showing trenches at Alesia, this is meant to educate "common" people in a movie type form. If you want to see something in depth, watch "Decisive Battles". How much can you ask out of a 1hr historical movie?

Did you think the clothing/armor/sets were accurate?
Quote:
Kefka post=297820 Wrote:I am going to check out Private Lives of Pompeii.
Let me know if you find a copy of it anywere! It's a pretty rare thing nowadays.

I found it in 2 mins on the net, I am downloading it right now. Thats how I get all my Historical dramas. Many of the foreign one would be nearly impossible to get otherwise.
Quote:I really liked the series, and it is a little too much to nitpick about not showing trenches at Alesia, this is meant to educate "common" people in a movie type form. If you want to see something in depth, watch "Decisive Battles". How much can you ask out of a 1hr historical movie?

I agree that much of my post was nitpicking. However - to me at least - the trenches and defensive systems at Alesia are the single most important factor about the battle. It shows Rome's genius at siegecraft, and Alesia was not a pitched battle. So, personally, I would not expect them to show all three attack waves, but I would expect a movie, especially one set out to educate the laymen, to show that Rome had other tricks than the melee, especially if this movie claims so strongly to have been based on ancient writers and been done with the help of modern scholars. This would, in my opinion, also have been quite impressive and cinematic.
M. Caecilius M.f. Maxentius - Max C.

Qui vincit non est victor nisi victus fatetur
- Q. Ennius, Annales, Frag. XXXI, 493

Secretary of the Ricciacus Frënn (http://www.ricciacus.lu/)
Quote:
Nathan Ross post=297823 Wrote:

I found it in 2 mins on the net, I am downloading it right now. Thats how I get all my Historical dramas. Many of the foreign one would be nearly impossible to get otherwise.

Where have you found it? I can't!
Eduardo Vázquez
Quote:Did you think the clothing/armor/sets were accurate?

It has been sometime since I watched the full series, so I've skimmed through a few episodes to answer you.

Overall I think they did a pretty good job, especially on a budget for a documentary/drama mini series. They really did try to make the armor look the part of what we as historians would like, I see hamata with a doubler, muscle armor does not look bad, for the Caesar part many troops are wearing a sort of Montefortino helmet, for the Constantine part many troops are wearing Intersicta(sp) helmets, although many are wearing a sort of Attic helmet. In the Titus/Vespasian video legionaries are wearing segmentata and gallic style helmets, although admitidly they are "trooper" helmets, scutum are the appropriate shape for a 1st century legionary.

This documentary does and excellent job portraying many aspects of Roman equipment for a documentary/drama. You can certainly get the right idea of what the legionaries looked like, though some details are off, the overall depiction is correct
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Quote:
Kefka post=297826 Wrote:
Nathan Ross post=297823 Wrote:

Where have you found it? I can't!
\\

I got it from thebox.bz a member only British torrent site, I can many historical dramas from them. There rules are strict. I had to donate money when I signed up to have a good ratio so I could keep downloading. But they have stuff I can't find anywere else, lots of old BBC historical dramas, some that you can't even buy anywere.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When did the Roman Empire fall (your thoughts)? neutra 157 24,259 10-24-2012, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Before Fall of Empire Armies (Romans, Huns and Goths...) P. Lilius Frugius Simius 23 4,738 05-30-2005, 04:05 PM
Last Post: P. Lilius Frugius Simius