Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarmatian Cavalry
Hello gentlemen,

Spent the weekend with Legio III activities as the only Sarmatian.:roll:

Here a some more goodies!

More Early Sarmatian artifacts (200BC to 100AD):
[attachment=862]bonebowpartsbronzelongsword002.JPG[/attachment]
The bone parts to an asmmetrical bow, including differing length siyahs and the two "cheeks" at the grip.

Here is a sword from the same era:
[attachment=863]bonebowpartsbronzelongsword003.JPG[/attachment]
A bronze sword, 80cm long with a 14cm grip, but without the pommel. This was found in an Aorsi or Roxolani grave. It is Chinese, late Zhan Guo period.

As in posts above, these Sarmatian weapons confirm the lively trade between east and west, as oriental designs were transmitted into Europe. And they also show "Hunnic" traits that were not necessarily Hunnic.:wink:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Alanus, which book are those scans of bow parts, swords, and arroheads from?
Thanks Smile
Nadeem Ahmad

Eran ud Turan - reconstructing the Iranian and Indian world between Alexander and Islam
https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan
Hello Daryush, :grin:

The arrowheads from the Massagetae grave were illustrated in a Russian article reproduced by a somewhat fanatical website called Turkoworld or something nationalist like that, their gist being all steppe tribes, including Massagetae and Alans, spoke Turkic... the real gist being these tribes were Turkic in origin. I called the website guru on that bit of nonsense, but he never replied to me.

The interesting thing about the 7th Cent. BC arrowheads is #10, an armor-piercing bodkin. It shows that effective armor was worn very early on; and like I mentioned on another thread, steppe armor is incredibly old... being perfected in the Bronze Age.

The rest of the illustrations are from Iron Age Cultures of the Steppes (I think that's the name), edited by Jeanine Davis-Kimball and written by several Russian authors. A fairly informative book. Also see Sulimirski, The Sarmatians. I gave this author four stars on Goodreads, holding back a star for his vagueness in describing the difference between the Saroumatae and Sarmatians. :wink:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote: [..] their gist being all steppe tribes, including Massagetae and Alans, spoke Turkic... the real gist being these tribes were Turkic in origin. I called the website guru on that bit of nonsense, but he never replied to me.
But of course you know that Sarmatians were in fact Dacians? Big Grin I hear that a lot, you know...

Quote:The interesting thing about the 7th Cent. BC arrowheads is #10, an armor-piercing bodkin. It shows that effective armor was worn very early on; and like I mentioned on another thread, steppe armor is incredibly old... being perfected in the Bronze Age.
That's indeed quite old, but perhaps not that surprising when you have quite developed heavy armoured cavalry during the 4th c. BC or earlier?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hello, Robert

Yes, I remember the "old Dacian trick" we had here on RAT a few years ago. (nuk, nuk, nuk) :lol:

You're correct. We really shouldn't be surprised when we take an over-all look at armor, going back to the Trojan War... or the real one that created the legend. Wink

Oh! By the way, The Goths were actually Dacians with Germanic accents. :lol:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote:Oh! By the way, The Goths were actually Dacians with Germanic accents. :lol:
No no no, you got that all wrong. They only learned to speak German when they were in Spain, or possibly in Gaul. No doubt they learned it from Franks, Vandals and Sueves or other Germanic tourists on the Spanish costas. Before that they all spoke Dacian. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:The rest of the illustrations are from Iron Age Cultures of the Steppes (I think that's the name), edited by Jeanine Davis-Kimball and written by several Russian authors. A fairly informative book. Also see Sulimirski, The Sarmatians. I gave this author four stars on Goodreads, holding back a star for his vagueness in describing the difference between the Saroumatae and Sarmatians. :wink:

Mrs. Kimball is not an legitime author, because i was with her in contact two years ago and she had a little popularscientific knowlede about the Scythian's clothes - about many details she never heard about that.

Joze
I like LH
Quote:No no no, you got that all wrong. They only learned to speak German when they were in Spain, or possibly in Gaul. No doubt they learned it from Franks, Vandals and Sueves or other Germanic tourists on the Spanish costas. Before that they all spoke Dacian. Wink

Ah! I should have remembered that. It's in all the Jeanine Davis-Kimball textbooks... plus they learned Dacian from the Turks... because, naturally, the Dacian tongue is a Turkic language. Still quite popular in certain academic circles. :wink:

Hello, Jose

For the Steppe Cultures book above, Ms Davis-Kimball doesn't have to be an expert on anything. All the chapters were written by Russian archaeologists who do know their stuff. She just got them together for the project. Smile

As for steppe clothing. Most people know the difference between a kaftan and a tan calf. :roll:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Yes, this is truth; but the Sergei Rudenko is death and i needed someone for corresponding the points.

Joze
I like LH
Quote:Yes, this is truth; but the Sergei Rudenko is death and i needed someone for corresponding the points.

Joze

Back to you, Joze

Rudenko was not included in the anthology of Steppe Cultures recommended above, since he died some decades earlier. He was a groundbreaker. Much of what he wrote was helpful, some of it now contested, but Rudenko was early and he stimulated other-- and modern-- archaeologists to continue his work. This is what we get in Steppe Cultures of the Iron Age, although it does not cover the later tribes, the Wusun and Alans (Sarmatians).

We need more written on the later tribes, the Sarmatian 3 and 4 cultures, but we're not getting it. That is unfortunate. Confusedad: We can only hope that future Russian writers can give us more. :-)
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sarmatian cavalry and infantry emilio 17 6,563 09-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Last Post: Vindex