Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proper Crest for Legionary on Aquincum Helmet
For my crest we took the crest box itself, drilled a hole in it and ran a cut down nail through it. The nail just fits the slot in the support post, the ends are tied down, and it works quite well that way.

I hadn't thought of a 'T' shaped piece on the bottom of the crest box.

Rutilia
If you have peace in your land,
You will have health in your hand.

mka Siani Overstreet
My Gallic J has a plate fitted as part of the crest's construction but the principle is the same using a pin to secure it through the finial..
[Image: DSCF2462a.jpg]
[Image: glemham2.jpg]
[Image: gourd200031.jpg]
Now that one I like. Cotter pin. I'd have to drill a hole for it through the crest knob, but that's not a problem.

Interesting solution.

Rutilia

mka Siani Overstreet
Oh, I was assuming the knob DID have a hole through it already! Coolus knobs are done that way, after all.

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
I was surprised it didn't, to be honest. It's the older Aquincum helmet so perhaps the newer version has it.

Drilling a hole is no problem though so I may well have a go with the pin method anyway. It would not stop the slot system I have now from working so no harm.

Excellent idea though.

Rutilia

mka Siani Overstreet
I bought my Aquincum in 2004, it has the slot AND the hole beneath,Based on Matt Amt's site and the suggestions above, I fixed mine...it looks great on the helmet, I have the natural horsehair, but I guess I'll paint the wood base red, unless someone has a better idea, Mike
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

Roman Soldier Impressions are focused on 1st Through 4th Century AD
Interesting. I got mine in...'03 or '04 I think it was. It only has the slot. Odd.

I've painted my block blue, but I have a second I am considering painting white. Natural blond horsehair for them.

I think the hole and pin is probably a better method than what I did with the hole and nail.

Rutilia

mka Siani Overstreet
Based on yesterday's post, I added the cotter key....works great! Mike
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

Roman Soldier Impressions are focused on 1st Through 4th Century AD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ostrich Helmet Crest Suggestions Doc 19 4,589 04-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Gaius Colletti
  How do I make a horse hair helmet crest Naomi Lazarus 3 9,068 03-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Forty-One
  Aquincum Helmet Chin strap ring Antoninus05 3 2,260 02-26-2011, 04:18 AM
Last Post: Gaius Colletti