Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aquincum Helmet Chin strap ring
Ave All....before I drill a hole in the rear of my helmet, did the Aquincum Helmet have a rear ring for chin strap under the rear flap like other helmets...it does have the two rings on each cheekplate, and then a fore and aft ring on the helmet dome (I assume those are for securing the crest)....anyway, I've always read this was one of the most accurate reproductions and can't believe they left off a chin strap ring....so I tghought I'd ask first...thanks, Antoninus
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

Roman Soldier Impressions are focused on 1st Through 4th Century AD
Yes, there should be a ring there.

Almost no one in India cares about historical accuracy! So far we've only convinced 2 manufacturers over there to make things (SOME things!) to reenactor specifications. But they will cheerfully go astray, adding or omitting almost anything at random, without constant supervision. Remember, 99 percent of the people who buy their stuff don't give a crap about chinstrap rings! Or any other historical features.

The only infantry helmet that I recall not having a ring in the middle of the neckguard is Italic D. It has a ring near either corner instead, implying 2 chin tie cords, but presumably ties on the same way.

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Hey Matt,

That's interesting, I had never considered using two different tie cords for the Italic. I had thought that the tie loops had been moved simply for comfort of the wearer. By changing from one ring at the center to two at the corners it prevents the leather tie from rubbing and chafing on the back of the neck, as this was my experiance with other helmets.

What is the advantage of using two cords rather than one long one run through both rear tie loops?
M.VAL.BRUTUS
Brandon Barnes
Legio VI Vicrix
www.legionsix.org
Quote:Yes, there should be a ring there.

Almost no one in India cares about historical accuracy! So far we've only convinced 2 manufacturers over there to make things (SOME things!) to reenactor specifications. But they will cheerfully go astray, adding or omitting almost anything at random, without constant supervision. Remember, 99 percent of the people who buy their stuff don't give a crap about chinstrap rings! Or any other historical features.

It really is amazing how even with a little research, you can find out what does and does not belong on a helmet. There are thousands of pictures of the original helmets on the web, and yet the "trooper helmet" is still most likely the best selling helmet in the world. I do not know what is more interesting, that manufacturers of the trooper helms could make simple modifications and produce much more accurate helmets, and make more money, or the fact that manufacturers that make them correctly charge $200+ to get a decent helmet
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proper Crest for Legionary on Aquincum Helmet Antoninus05 22 7,101 03-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Antoninus05
  Chin Ties for Late Roman Intercisa Ridge Helmet Antoninus05 5 2,390 03-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  unique chin-strap configuration A_Volpe 5 1,786 08-24-2010, 07:26 AM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS