Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SCA members?
Salve -

I hope this is in the correct section and appropriate. I am not sure whether talking about an outside group is okay?

Are there any SCA members on RAT? If so, what ways have you modified your kit to still be Roman but fall within SCA fighting rules?

I am also trying to find links for clothing for women.

Vade in pace.

Tasia
++++++++++++++
Quinta Livia Anastasia
aka stace kelsey
Quote:Salve -

I hope this is in the correct section and appropriate. I am not sure whether talking about an outside group is okay?

Are there any SCA members on RAT? If so, what ways have you modified your kit to still be Roman but fall within SCA fighting rules?

I am also trying to find links for clothing for women.

Vade in pace.

Tasia

...As a matter of fact, there do be some. Confusedmile:
I'm just getting my feet wet into the heavy combat, but the real big differences I can think of as far as armour goes mostly falls under the helms. I've got a friend who is going to be working with me to fashion an SCA-legal helm, and a 'dress' helm for non-combat walkabouts.

Looking through Daniel Peterson's 'The Roman Legions, Recreated in...' what we've come up with to fit into the correct time period and the easiest to modify would be to use an Imperial Gallic 'H' helm; The idea is that with a narrow and sloped neck-guard, shots deflected to the guard won't jerk the head around as easily, as it's a smaller target. It's also going to make more sense to throw on grills to protect the ear-holes from an errant thrust, and a barred-face guard. The jury is still out on locking cheek-pieces...

A gorget can be covered up with a focale easily enough, and I think that lorica segmentata should work as far as torso armour goes (I'm not sure if lights can get away with lorica hamata - Heavies definitely couldn't). As I'm sure you've guessed by now, the hardest part of doing Roman armour for the SCA is that while your typical legionnaire didn't wear much to protect his legs or arms, the SCA won't let you onto the field without it. That means either hiding arms & legs underneath extremely long and loose tunica/braccae (Which I personally think looks horrible) or using greaves and manica. The examples off the Legion XX site (http://www.larp.com/legioxx/manica.html & http://www.larp.com/legioxx/greaves.html) have instructions on how to make both. The main differences is the metal thickness, and that (At least according to An Tir's rules), knee and elbow cops with wings are required - The above examples don't have them, but there's not much that can be done about that.

Cleats or combat boots instead of caligae are one of the better ideas (Mine are steel-toed), and while a scutum will be fine for war, you'll have to have a smaller version if you want to use it in tournaments. *sigh* Women's clothing ideas can be found in several sources (I don't recall if the Osprey series covers civilian females, or just military personnel), but there's also a link to women's fashion off the Legion XX site as well (http://www.larp.com/legioxx/civcloth.html)

I hope that's helpful to you, but as you're a fellow Oregonian and not too far off, perhaps we can collaborate more.

-Quintus Claudius Britanicus,
Legionnaire, LEGIIAVG
-Ryan

-Cave a sinistra manu utebatur pro bellator.
So basically you're saying that the decision has to be made whether to dress SCAdian or authentically, historically Roman, right?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
On the field, yes. Off the field, there's no reason to look un-authentic with modified gear. It just depends on how much you like getting hit by sticks, I suppose. :wink:

Legionnaire, LEGIIAVG
-Ryan

I had the same problem when I first started with my own group that I had a trainer who was in the SCA and tried to make our equipment etc. be according to the SCA rules but soon we realized this is not gonna work so we split with him (but also for other reasons). At the SCA everything is overly secured, protection here and there. This means if you fight you could just attack and don't need to care about blocking etc. that much because you are protected so well.
Quote:I had the same problem when I first started with my own group that I had a trainer who was in the SCA and tried to make our equipment etc. be according to the SCA rules but soon we realized this is not gonna work so we split with him (but also for other reasons). At the SCA everything is overly secured, protection here and there. This means if you fight you could just attack and don't need to care about blocking etc. that much because you are protected so well.

The SCA rules are foremost for safety. Rattan can cause some serious bruises/injuries so each fighter armors up 1)within the minimum requirements and 2)based on their personal interest and level of protection they feel comfortable with. Some start out with a serious amount of coverage then as they become more experienced some of that starts to fall away. Some of these guys go all out with the fighting and you definitely want to know how to block!

Blocking is a fairly integral part of the fight though. One you don't want to get hurt and two, you don't want to get killed!

So on the field it is a little more difficult to be 100% authentic Roman, however, off the field it is easy. I do like the idea of authentic off the field armor though.
++++++++++++++
Quinta Livia Anastasia
aka stace kelsey
First let me say that I do not do a roman kit for either SCA or Living history. I frequent these forums for the greek stuff. But with that said I am familiar with what good kits look like. There are some very good SCA roman kits. I have seen some with chain as well as the plate. There is even one that has a stunning example of a calvery helm.

Edward

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edward Lindey

A horse is a thing of beauty... none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.         Xenophon

Hey Ed,

Those are pretty well put together kits. I wouldn't call them good in terms of looking the part, though the first one looks like a decent late Roman. The SCA, while setting out with good intentions, is like that Uncle or Aunt who buys you a foot stool for Xmas. They often come up short in terms of looking historically accurate. And I'm by no means a stitch counter...it's just the nature of the SCA.

Legion: TBD
Moreso the nature of the safety aspect than anything. You'll find people limited in that respect but come really close. Edward that is a really nice kit! I am envious!
++++++++++++++
Quinta Livia Anastasia
aka stace kelsey
There are even better ones out there than those two. The one is a gentleman I know, the other in the parade helm I have seen across the field. Neither is mine, they were just the ones I could find really quickly. With the SCA it is more up to the individual what the final kit looks like. I have a decent britanic celt kit I assembled for a tournement a while back. I will try to find a picture of it.

Edward

Here is another kit that I believe is really good.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Edward Lindey

A horse is a thing of beauty... none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.         Xenophon

Wait, so the SCA won't let you use "Imperial Roman" helmets because it exposes too much of the face, but they are ok with a "Corinthian" style helmet?
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
That's true, safety is a first...but I've seen really authentic gear on SCA fighters, but that's in the 0.1% of members. The rest...well, I don't have a very high opinion of the SCA so I'll leave it at that lol.

Matt, as long as there is a cage over the face, regardless of helmet type, you are ok.

Legion: TBD
Dunno if it will help or not, but I got my fighting helm from these folks...
http://clang.adkinssoftware.com/helm%20p...%2001.html

Other than the helm and my "War-Door" shield, I downgraded a lot of my gear to some fast thrown together leather stuff.

P.S. Hope I don't get in trouble for linking that.
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam
"I\'ll Either Find A Way Or Make One" from Hannibal

John Pruitt
Is there any way to get in contact with this guy, other than the e-mail link on his site? I'd like to have him answer a few questions and possibly place an order, but he hasn't responded to my e-mail in a week or two...

Legionnaire, LEGIIAVG
-Ryan

These may be of interest:

[Image: 6173750570_db3e92ef94_d.jpg]

[Image: 5723685748_4afb30a408_d.jpg]

http://foxknife.com