Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teach Yourself Inscriptions
Just been emailed this by an outpost in the frozen north and thought it might be of wider interest. Uses inscriptions in the Great North Museum and provides audio guides to pronunciation. Reminded me of the tapes that went with the Cambridge Latin Course many years ago ('Queeeeeeeentus est in uillam!'). I failed my Latin O Level twice so will definitely be using this to brush up ;-)

Enjoy!

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Very cool! Thanks!

Legion: TBD
Good find, Mike. Send thanks up to the frozen northerners.:wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thanks for the link. I have always wanted to learn how to look at some inscription and determine what it says.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
What an excellent website! Thank you for posting this.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Cool. 8) Thanks.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
When I mouse over the text on the tombstone section, parentheses appear. What is their purpose? Is that a way indicating a certain tenses or to indicate where the inscription words or symbol are separated by those dots?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Speaking of Roman inscrptions and writing, does anyone know of a good website for reading, saying etc. Roman numbers? I do not mean exactly like the one posted presently on this thread although it would be nice, but something to the effect that I can say Legio I in latin not in English.

Paolo
Thanks!
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
The various parentheses that appear when you mouse-over the text are an epigraphy standard - the "Leiden parentheses system".

Their meanings are as follows:
[ ] - Reconstruction of missing/damaged parts of the monument

--- - A so called lacune or gap, an indeterminable number of glyphs missing

[.] - A determinable number of glyphs missing, denoted by the number of dots (in this case, one glyph is missing

( ) - Spelled out abbreviations, like for instance D M = D(is) M(anibus)

< > - Masons corrections or additions

{ } - Masons deletions of mistakes (double letters, upside down,...)

[[[ ]] - Reconstructed parts of the inscription that have been erased in antiquity (damnatio memoriae)

vvv - Empty space on the monument, each v represents the space of one glyph (in this case three) (v stands for vacat)

That's about it,...

As for the link, I stumbled onto this forum due to this thread, and the link is indeed interesting, especially to see some monuments and practice on them a bit, he he Smile

The thing that irks me though, is the pronounciation and the fact that vixit is written out (and pronounced) as uixit.

Anyway, hopefully this will explain why and how the parentheses are used!
Quote:I can say Legio I in latin not in English
Legio Unus (LEG' ee oh OO' noos) unless I have it wrong with the last syllable, in which it might be more like OO' nus)

Is that what you were asking? We believe the V was sometimes pronounced like a w in English, Vicus being WEE' koos. There was no U in Latin, only a V, and the Double U (W) is really a Double V, and is pronounced like a W when followed by a vowel, and a U when followed by a consonant. Do I have it right, experts?

The hard fact is that we don't know for sure how 1st C Latin was pronounced, and most of our conclusions are drawn from rhyming bits in poetry and the Latin Vulgate of the Catholic church. Cicero would most certainly cringe at all our efforts.:???:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I can say Legio I in latin not in English

Generally, Legio I means "the first legion" rather than "legion one", in which case it would be 'prima' rather than 'una' i.e. Legio prima (first legion) rather than Legio una (legion one).

There's a guide to Latin ordinal numbers (first, second, etc.) at about.com. Remember also that a legion (legio) is feminine, so prima, not primus (and secunda, not secundus etc).

Or you can cheat Smile The wikipedia pages for most legions give (a version of) their spelled-out latin title.

blue skies
Tom Wrobel
email = [email protected]
Tom,

Thanks for the link.

Paolo