Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Classics on CD ROM?
Several years ago I did some research on Biblical scripture using a KJV Bible on CD ROM, not simply a digital copy of the text, but a software edition that utilized a search feature, maps, audio files etc. This made my research a breeze as I was able to search keywords and phrases at the click of the mouse, for example I could include an asterix at the end of a keyword and instantly have all passages containing all of the variations of the particular word.

I am curious if anyone is familiar with something similar for such works as Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon etc. While I do prefer the organic and tangible nature of a book and I doubt that I will ever own any of the E-readers, I would however love to have CD-Rom versions of the Classics for the purpose of research. Imagine having every mention of any topic found in Herodotus instantly on your monitor!

Any thoughts?

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
You are looking for the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae and the Packard Humanities Institute. I believe they are both free right now, although there used to be a modest cost.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:You are looking for the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae and the Packard Humanities Institute. I believe they are both free right now, although there used to be a modest cost.

Thank you Sean!

I checked the site and there is a substantial membership fee, but it seems that there is also some free material available as well. I'll have to come back to it when I have more time. I did find a CD-ROM at Amazon that contains Herodotus, Xenophon, Homer and various Roman historians, but they are simply E-books compiled on a single disk (not bad for $25.00!) but I'm looking for something with a built in search engine etc.

Thanks again!

Mark

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad