Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good books about the Jastorf Culture
Ok I am quite new at this forum.
I am currently involved in a Medieval Total War 2 modification which tries to depict the time period from approx 220 BC until approx 17 AD as historical correct as possible.
It is not an easy task because of lack of sources and game engine constrains.
My job is research the Germanic peoples during this period and create unit concepts so 3D artist can create textured unit 3D units that will be used in our modification.

Currently I am searching for information about the Jastorf culture.
Information about types of spears and other weapons and objects like fibula's belt buckle's etc.
If somebody can push me to the right direction I would be very happy.
Jasper Cobelens
If you're working on Europa Barbarorum 2, this is awesome news! Long have I awaited the comming of a second Europa Barbaororum (I played the first one, and I totally love it). Have you considered using that Hjortsporing ship find in Danmark as a source for very early Germanic weaponry? I remember that the levy spearmen (Gaizofukom Frijot) were equipped with shields based of the Hjortsporing find. Are you going to have a unit reformation (Druhtiz reformation) as in the first game? If so, you could use the Jastorf culture for earlier units, and perhaps Roman iron age finds for later units. For later units, it would recomend the book 'Das Heer des Arminius' by Andreas Strassmeir. It deals with Germanic warriors at the beginning of the 1st cen AD. Also, 'Ancient Germanic Warriors: Warrior types from Trajan's Column to Icelandic Sagas' by Michael Speidel is good for information about 'warrior cults' which are always fun to send against some invading Romans (btw, I liked the Wargozez in the first game. Are you going to include them in this mod as well?). I had a PDF of the book if you want it. Just message me your eamil address. If it would be ok with you guys, I would really like to help with research for this mod (I'm not much of a computer programer, but I'm going to be doing some reenacting in Germany this summer, if that's of any help).
Acording to Strassmeir's Book, there were only two types of foot infrantry, Regular armament (shield and spear), and full armament (shield, spear, and single edged sword). However, a diversity of units is always interesting, so making differant kinds of spearmen and swordsmen with differant strengths and weaknesses is important. As far as Cavalry goes, there are mounted nobles, equipped with swords similar to Celtic longswords (techincally they are called early Germanic double edged swords), as well as the 'Ridorez' you had in EB. Also, check out some of my posts on RAT (they often started great conversations on shields, swords, etc). I'm not very knowledgable about the Jastorf Culture, but I'd love to help for the later units! Also, I have some information on warrior types based on weapons finds of the Przeworsk culture if your interested in creating some more eastern Germanic units.

Anyway, good luck with your Mod!

Dan
Dan Dalby

Group Leader Project Germani

Germanic Tribes of the 1st. cen. BCE to the 1st cen. CE
Hi, the list below is a bit straightforward and in german. Look for the works dealing with gravefields, you´ll find the hardware you are looking for. But weapons will be scarce, since they were not part of the burial goods at this period.

Good Luck!

Robert

BTW PN sent!

H. J. Häßler, Ur- und Frühgeschichte in Niedersachsen. 1991.

J. Brand: Jastorf und Latène. Kultureller Austausch und seine Auswirkungen auf soziopolitische Entwicklungen in der vorrömischen Eisenzeit. 2001

Bemmann, Güde. Badow. Ein Gräberfeld der jüngeren vorrömischen Eisenzeit und älteren römischen Kaiserzeit im Landkreis Nordwestmecklenburg.

Brand, Jochen. Jastorf und Latène.

Fenske, Reiner. Cosa Ein Gräberfeld der vorrömischen Eisenzeit im Kreis Neubrandenburg.

Müller, Rosemarie. Die Grabfunde der Jastorf- und Latenezeit an unterer Saale und Mittelelbe.

Keiling, Horst. Kolbow. Ein Urnenfriedhof der vorrömischen Eisenzeit im Kreis Ludwigslust.

Keiling, Horst. Glövzin. Ein Urnenfriedhof der vorrömischen Eisenzeit im Kreis Perleberg.

Krüger, Heinrich. Die Jastorfkultur in den Kreisen Lüchow-Dannenberg, Lüneburg, Uelzen und Soltau.

Reinbacher Erwin. Börnicke. Ein ältereisenzeitlicher Urnenfriedhof im Havelland.

Seyer, Heinz. Siedlung und archäologische Kultur der Germanen im Havel - Spree - Gebiet in den Jahrhunderten vor Beginn u.Z.

Seyer, Heinz. Germanen im Havel-Spree-Gebiet.
Robert Brosch
www.chasuari.de">www.chasuari.de
Germanic warriors of 1st ct. AD

www.comitatus.eu">www.comitatus.eu
Network of germanic Reenactors of 1st ct. AD
Yes Harjaz, I work for the EB2 mod and I am one of the couple team members working on the Sweboz faction.
I will not go in to much in detail regarding the units for the Sweboz faction but I think you will like them.
Regarding the Wargoz, I don't know yet if this unit will appear in EB2 we are first working to finish the core troops.
Regarding work for EB2, we are always looking for people who can help us progress the mod.
The EB2 Sweboz team is quite large so we are not looking for new volunteers for this group.
Other factions like Celtic tribes and Iranian horse nomads can use new experts.
Artist like 3D modelers and 2D artist are highly needed for EB2.

Ghandi,

Thanks for the book list.
To bad that they are all in German so I have to better my German a bit :-)
Ghandi, those Jastorf weapon findings are they war-booty sacrifices or just normal offerings?
Jasper Cobelens
... more books you need:

ADLER, Wolfgang: Studien zur germanischen Bewaffnung – Waffenmitgabe und Kampfesweise im Niederelbegebiet und im übrigen Freien Germanien um Christi Geburt; Saarbrücken 1989.

BECK, Heinrich u. a. (Hrsg.): Fibel und Fibeltracht (Reallexikon der Germanischen Altertumskunde), Berlin/New York 2000.

KRÜGER, Bruno (Hrsg.): Die Germanen, Bd. 1, Berlin 1983.

RANDSBORG, Klavs: Hjortspring - Warfare and Sacrifice in Early Europe, Aarhus 1996.

SCHLABOW, Karl: Textilfunde der Eisenzeit in Norddeutschland, Neumünster 1976.

Typentafeln zur Ur- und Frühgeschichte (Hrsg.: Kulturbund der DDR), Weimar 1972.

ZIELING, Norbert: Studien zu germanischen Schilden der Spät Latene- und der römischen Kaiserzeit im freien Germanien, Oxford 1989.

have fun!
Andreas Strassmeir
Thanks Arminius!
That would be more than useful for me
Jasper Cobelens
This would also be very useful:

C. von Carnap-Bornheim u.a.:

"Bewaffnung der Germanen und ihrer Nachbarn in den letzten Jahrhunderten vor Christi Geburt"

(Lublin 2002)

Greets,

Andreas Gagelmann
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Thanks Decebalus,

Last week I received "Hjortspring: A Pre-Roman Iron Age Warship in Context" which contains a lot info about the boat but also about the weapons.
It also has info about the Krogsbolle,Passentin and other Pre-Roman Iron-age findings.

I have also ordered "The Spoils of Victory - The North on the shadow of the Roman Empire"
I think it contains more info about Roman Iron age findings.
Does someone else has this book and is it good?
Jasper Cobelens