Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Movie \"300 Spartans - Last Stand\"
Quote:Yes, I've had the misfortune of suffering through this offshore...some of the few pleasures we have is watching TV and surfing the web....and was pretty much unimpressed.
About the whole mess, the 300isms in the whole thing...pretty abysmal!

Agreed, Hollywood and the History? channel have created many misconceptions. I believe it is an insult to the Greeks at Thermopylae (and soldiers in general) to imply that they were fearless supermen, bravery is about overcoming fear and standing ones' ground in the face of sheer terror, to be fearless requires one to be a fool, or mentally deranged.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Well said, Mark! The "true" story of the Greeks at Thermopylae (well, Herodotus' version of it anyway!) is far more "epic" and heroic than the portrayals in "300" or this History Channel program.
Don't get me going on Hollywood ... talk about trashing and reinterpreting history! Speaking from a country that has been insulted many times (perhaps unintentionally - more likely in a completely indifferent manner) by Hollywood in this respect, I'm pleased to see historic films are still being made elsewhere ...
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:Well said, Mark! The "true" story of the Greeks at Thermopylae (well, Herodotus' version of it anyway!) is far more "epic" and heroic than the portrayals in "300" or this History Channel program.

It certainly is! :-D

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,879 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus