Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review: The Eagle
Many decades ago, in 7th Grade, Rosemary Sutcliff woke my passion for history with her novel The Eagle of the Ninth. Over the years I became a dedicated student of Roman military history determined to find out how much was fact and fiction in hers and other novels.

I am predisposed to like this genre of movies because they are so rarely made.

The first half of the movie (one hour, 57 minutes including credits) follows the book fairly well, the names of the characters are the same (except the screenplay makes Lutorius the second in command of Marcus Flavius Aquila (the main character) whereas in the book he is the commander of the Dacian cavalry troop. The fort is small for a cohort and this is evident in the frontal shots of it but the defenses and buildings look authentic. The armor of the legionaries is typical of a movie shot in eastern Europe (the fort sequences were filmed in Hungary) and looks like leather versions of segmented armor, one would expect a cohort of Gallic auxiliaries to have oval shields and mail armor but the movie (and book) claim the cohort as belonging to the Legio II Augusta so that might be overlooked. The movie and book both make the mistake of making the cohort commander the Pilus Prior Centurion when of course an auxiliary cohort should be commanded by a Prefect. The battle scenes are satisfying, as usual the unwritten Roman movie battle scene requirement of FIRE being used as fulfilled (even Spartacus had burning logs). I was massively disappointed in the Britons using Roman chariots instead of British chariots. I was looking forward to seeing a small mass of open fronted, leather mesh floored British chariots.

The second half of the movie changes from the book considerably. Marcus does not assume the guise of an eye physcian and Esca, his slave, becomes a prince of the Brigantes (rather than a warrior of the tribe). The flashback scenes of the demise of the IX Hispania are disappointing due to the small numbers in the scenes (the descriptions in the book, though short, are much more descriptive. In the movie the Seal People become a separate tribe rather than a clan of the Epidaii tribe in the book. The culture invented for the sea people did not ring true with me, it felt more like an American Indian culture.

The climax of the movie had been spoiled somewhat by the commercials on TV prior to release. It was obvious from them that there would be more of the IX Hispania's lost legionaries coming to Marcus and Esca's assistance than the one (Guern) of the book, and the final battle also a change from the book.

I expected the movie to be better than Centurion and I have to say it is not. I am overjoyed that the treasures novel of my youth has come to life on the big screen but am let down with the result. On a scale of 1 - 5 with 5 being best it is a 2 (bear in mind I'm predisposed to like any movie of this genre). It is not a movie I would go to see again but probably deserves a look at least once be the people who participate in this forum. No doubt I'll buy the DVD but only because of its association with the book.

I sat through the long end credits to try and identify the historical or Roman military adviser for the movie, I as not surprised to see that NO ONE is listed. No doubt anyone of us would have been invaluable to lending more authenticity to it (my dream job would is historical adviser to the History Channel or Military Channel).

I recommend it for Rosemary Sutcliff fans, others could probably wait for the DVD or their local library to obtain a copy when it comes out.
Salve,
thanks for the review, I was going to take my son who quite enthusiastically has been reading the novel... I guess we may wait a bit for the DVD _ Wink
bachmat66 (Dariusz T. Wielec)
<a class="postlink" href="http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/">http://dariocaballeros.blogspot.com/
I think your son might be able to appreciate the movie more than either you or me. i think it is our knowledge of the era that makes the shortcomings of the movie obvious. I'd bet you and your son would probably enjoy seeing it together despite all the mistakes you would identify.
Quote:I sat through the long end credits to try and identify the historical or Roman military adviser for the movie, I as not surprised to see that NO ONE is listed. No doubt anyone of us would have been invaluable to lending more authenticity to it (my dream job would is historical adviser to the History Channel or Military Channel).

I think the historical advisor (or at least one of them) was Lindsay Allason-Jones (an email was circulated relating how the movie publicity people were proposing advertising how the soldiers went into battle with that most deadly of weapons, gladioli(!)). Historical advisers seldom serve much purpose beyond adding academic cred to the producers' inevitably dire offering. I remember Peter Connolly (Last Days of Pompeii mini-series) telling me how he was roundly ignored and in the end gave up and went off looking at old churches with the stunt men; his one victory was the paintings on the wall of the arena - everything else fell to the 'but the audience will expect...' argument. Frogs and scorpions all the way, I'm afraid.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Yes, Lindsay Allason-Jones was listed as the "Historical Advisor" in the film credits, with someone else listed as tne "Military Advisor" - whatever that entailed.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Quote:someone else listed as tne "Military Advisor" - whatever that entailed.

Imdb lists the 'military and technical advisor' for the film as Paul Hornsby, who was previously 'senior military advisor' for The Last Legion and Narnia: Prince Caspian. He actually seems to be a stuntman, so I assume most of the 'military advice' concerned leaping about and falling over rather than (for example) using the right sort of armour :???:

I didn't know Lindsay Allason-Jones was involved. Mike's story sounds much like others I've heard about movie 'historical advisors' though... Good for the pocket, bad for the soul...

The film has also been discussed on this thread, btw: The Eagle / Eagle of the Ninth

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Why did they need a military advisor for "Narnia"?
Quote:Why did they need a military advisor for "Narnia"?

Why? To ensure that the Narnians were in appropriate combat formation, of course. :lol:

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Whilst we are off-topic, I think the Narnia films are bloody awful. CS Lewis was just a poor man's Tolkien. The film adaptations have been the same. Will they really make them all? Could anybody be bothered sticking it out?

My favourite 'Narns' are in Babylon 5 ... give me G'Kar any day!!!:grin:
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Yes, Paul Hornsby was the name I saw for the "military advisor." I have for 30 or more years made a habit of staying through the final credits when watching a movie - or a documentary. There can be lots of information hidden in the midst of credits for 3rd grip, Assistant to this or another person, etc. I am often the last person to leave the theater as a result. When the credits rolled at the end of the last History Channel project I was in, I was pleasantly surprised to see my name listed.
If I am aware that reenactors may have been involved in filming something, I will stay to see if at least their organizations/units are given credit at the end.
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Completely agree with this great review. Took my daughter last night, we both love the book. Disappointed by the changes. First half OK, second very similar to "Centurion". I think it was a bad idea to try to make this children's novel into a movie mostly for adults. Took away a lot of the magic, and the whole "culture clash" thing they introduced in order to make it more serious/adult didn't ring true to me, especially between Marcus and Esca.
Aka
Christoph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Review:The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff ParthianBow 42 10,314 09-10-2011, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Brent Nielsen