Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LEGION: A Novel of the Army of Rome
I, too, enjoyed Legion a lot. I definitely hope that another book is in the pipeline, about the Roman Army. Bill has written about my favorite period - the Augustan advance into Germany. Too little is written about the Augustan army in general. <br>
I am not going to complain about the fictional Legion XXV, since I belong to Legion XXIV. Neither one is a number that I have seen used (based on my resources about the numbering of actual Roman Legions) once Augustus reorganized the army.<br>
It's a good read, and I am looking forward to more.<br>
<br>
M. Quintius Clavus <p></p><i></i>
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
Quintius, thank you very much for your kind and generous review of LEGION. Yes, I am working on another novel now. I'm far from finished with XXV Rapax, least of all with its gallant Second Cohort!<br>
<br>
Again, thank you.<br>
<br>
Bill Altimari<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Herewith the review of his book which Bill asked me to post here. I have duly modified it to suit jenny and a US audience who do not know what an "anorak" is (see nerd)<br>
Legion William Altimari<br>
I have long bemoaned the absence of Sharpe type adventure novels set in the 1st century and giving the general reader an idea of life in Caesars Army. We had a plethora of detective novels but as one who ordinarily never reads detective stories they had to be pretty good at their period and character to make up for their lack of violence.<br>
Now with Scarrow and here Altimari our thirst has been satisfied.<br>
Legion is set in 15 BC and follows the adventures of a centurion Rufio serving with the fictitious XXV Rapax on the German frontier. We also have a Greek writer Diocles giving us what we would love to have in reality a contemporary lay description of the training and life in a Legion.<br>
The two compliment each other well and we warm to them both as the novel proceeds. Rufio is a bit of a super centurion who is a natural leader of men and adept in all matters military. He could perhaps be a little more fallible as you never doubt his survival and triumph. The novel is populated by a wide range of minor characters not least of which is the beautiful Flavia who provides the love interest and a bit of al fresco sex.<br>
The novel is well written with a lovely turn of phrase "Germans tumble out of the womb and reach for their swords" andâ€ÂÂ
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
Herewith a huge thank-you to my cyber-friend Derek. Words fail me--a rarity for me, as Derek will attest!<br>
<br>
Bill Altimari <p></p><i></i>
I only with the book Diocles was supposed to be writing would be found in the Villa of the Papyrii! Or any of those in Rufio's library. <p>Legio XX<br>
Fortius Conamur<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
One never knows, Rich, one never knows!<br>
<br>
Hope you enjoyed the book.<br>
<br>
Bill <p></p><i></i>