Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are the women historians?
Publishing as a whole is a female-dominated industry. I happily consider proposals from both female and male authors, though the former are in the clear minority in our field of military history.

You might want to look out for books in the future from Alex[andra] Dimond (Sparta's Last Stand: Cleomenes III and the Road to Sellasia]; Birgitta Hoffmann (comparing the archaeological and literary evidence for the Roman invasion of Britain); Elizabeth James (a military biography of Constantine the Great) and I am considering a biography of another famous Roman from another female writer.

Phil
Commissioning Editor
Pen & Sword Books
I have on my desk a 200+ page treatise on The Roman Republican Navy by Christa Steinby. It's most definitely not about women!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
In my field (somewhere between the chaffe and hay) I read military and history books, and what I've noticed is an ever-expanding volume by women authors. Frankly, we always needed this type of viewpoint, and we're getting more of it. I like archeaology and anthropology, which sometimes compliments military or warrior history.

Here are few:

Elizabeth Barber wrote an excellent tome on the The Mummies of Urumchi, linking them to the Kushans.

Jeannine Davis-Kimball gave us Warrior Women, one of the best-thought-out books on Saka/Sarmatian women (in fact, the only one). In her studies, she rebuked the decades-old notion that the Golden Man of Issyk was a man, backing up her argument with good research. Yes, the person was more likely a high warrior priestess.

Pita Kelekna recently penned The Horse in Human History, which supercedes The Onger in Chimpanzee History (now outdated).

Years ago, Marija Gambutas wrote excellent material on the early Indo-Europeans, sometimes challenged but now gaining a little respect.

We're just looking at stuff in the English language, but Russian women authors are out there too. It's more than a trend. It's 50% of reality and it's needed.Wink
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote: The Onger in Chimpanzee History

:???:
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
It's a rather short book-- written on a rock with charcoal, author, publisher unknown.
Sorry. No ISBN number to reference. Check Loeb Library or one of the more obscure ones... like The Homer & Jethro Institute of Higher Learning.:mrgreen:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

One wag read the title of this thread and said, "That's easy: they're in the kitchen feeding the baby."
I looked at him and said, "You're still single, right?"
"Yes", he said.
"I thought so."

Ladies, I slapped him for you already.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Good for you!:grin:
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Quote:One wag read the title of this thread and said, "That's easy: they're in the kitchen feeding the baby."
I looked at him and said, "You're still single, right?"
"Yes", he said.
"I thought so."

Ladies, I slapped him for you already.

Thank you, but physical violence is not always necessary. Medusa is nothing on me...:wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Some more to add:

Danae Richter, "Das römische Heer auf der Trajanssäule" (The Roman Army on Traian's Column) Wiesbaden 2010

Cristina-Georgeta Alexandrescu, "Blasmusiker und Standartenträger im römischen Heer" (Trumpeters and Standardbearers in the Roman Army") Cluj-Napoca 2010

Mahand Vogt, "Spangenhelme" Mainz 2006

Heide Frielinghaus, "Die Helme von Olympia" (The helmets from Olympia) Berlin 2011 (forthcoming)

Greets
Andreas Gagelmann
Berlin, Germany
Quote:Ladies, I slapped him for you already.

Hopefully, there are ways of "slapping" someone without being physical. I assumed it was metaphorical.:roll:

But when a person catagorizes an entire sector of humanity-- actually one half of it-- as "in the kitchen" he or she needs a wake-up call.
Alan J. Campbell

Author of:
Forging the Blade (2012)

Oh, yes. Metaphorically, of course. :wink:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Anna Comnena (or doesn't she count?)
Hello, my name is Harry.
Quote:Anna Comnena (or doesn't she count?)

That's a good one Big Grin !
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]