Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructing Vitruvius\' ballista
I have just completed a provisional version of my article "A suggested reconstruction of Vitruvius'Stone-thrower: de Architectura Book X, 11, 4-9". This offers a revised edition of Vitruvius' text, with all variant readings in the mss, and a description of the full-size 2 librae version constructed by Len Morgan. The article will be accessible in the next day or two as a PDF on the Roman Military Research Society's website. Because no parts of this type of stone-thrower have been identified to date we are no better off in that respect than Erwin Schramm in the early 20th century. So hopefully a better understanding of the Latin text (Schramm did not publish the ms variant readings) will bring some improvements in our understanding of this machine.
The full article by Alan Wilkins on Vitruvius’ Stone-thrower is now available via the RMRS's website. Simply click on the images to download the full .pdf file.

http://www.romanarmy.net/stonethrower.htm
While I haven't had time to read it fully, it looks to be an excellent article!
Thanks for sharing this with us Alan!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vitruvius and the scorpio Anonymous 8 2,318 07-14-2004, 04:45 AM
Last Post: aitor iriarte