Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone\'s let the "Wolves" out...
For some reason Headline have gone and published The Eagle and the Wolves a month ahead of the official publication date. Hope that's of some interest to those who ask when they can get hold of the latest Macro and Cato outing!<br>
<br>
I've just finished reading two superb books I'd like to share with you. Chris Humphreys' "The French Executioner" is a wild romp through the bads days of the 16th century with plenty of action and massively larger than life characters. It ain't literature but it's a blinding read. The other book was Dodie Smith's "I capture the castle". I deliberately avoided the film and went for the novel instead. It's superbly written, very funny and wise and moral. I'm very inspired by it - but doubt that will mean giving up Macro's wholesale slaughter of barbarians. Honestly, it's more than worth the time it takes to read, which is a lot more than can be said for a lot of the material that ends up on my book-pile.<br>
<br>
About to start on Caroline Lawrence's latest. Report back soon.<br>
<br>
Last thing. The Mammoth Book of Roman Whodunnits should be out at the end of august. <p></p><i></i>
Great news! Though Amazon.co.uk still lists it as 'August" release date, but I did preorder. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Nope in Preston the Wolves are still in their cages <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
I just got my 'Wolves' from Amazon.UK today, so it is available.<br>
<br>
And, halfway through it, let me give my enthusiastic thumbs up. The character development is a lot richer, and I can't guess what's going to happen next, so peeking at the end page is very tempting. <p>Legio XX<br>
Fortius Conamur<br>
<br>
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc@romanarmytalk>RichSC</A> at: 8/1/03 12:58 pm<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
My thumbs are up too although I have to declare an interest in that Quartermaster Silva my Roman Personna makes a brief appearance.<br>
More anon <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
Do try to make your Simon Scarrow purchases through the RA.com [url=http://www.romanarmy.com/Content/Miscellanii/Miscellaneous_Main/Bookstore/BOOKSTORE-MAIN.htm" target="top]Bookstore[/url], as it will help us keep the site online!<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Hi Jenny- I certainly plan on buying Scarrow's latest through RA, but I am a bit confused. Are the books you have listed (and linked) over in the bookstore the only ones we are able to buy that give RA a credit? Isn't there a direct link somewhere to buy just anything on Amazon so that RA can get credit (as long as it was accessed via RA)? That is how we had it set up at the History Society's web page at UCLA.<br>
I have a ton of stuff I plan on buying on Amazon and if RA would benefit, then I would go through it first.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Ah, well, I believe if you click on the top of the Amazon banner at the left of this page, I <em>believe</em> we should still get credit for a subsequent purchase, or at least the first item you buy -- thanks by the way!<br>
<br>
If that is incorrect will someone please let tell me?<br>
<br>
As I said elsewhere, if there are any more suggestions for the Bookstore, just let us know.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,955 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus