Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for info.. SCA related..
Greetings !!

Hope this find all you good gentles well..

To the point of it then..

I am going to start working on a Greek persona for the SCA. I dont have any major parts fleshed out at the moment. Well I do have a look I am going for armour wise..

[attachment=1029]JJgreek.jpg[/attachment]

So to start the ball rolling..
What is wrong with this pic ??

I was hoping that I might be directed to a book or other resource.. As to not drive you fine folks crazy with my questions.. I have a ton at the moment..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

There are too many safety regulations in the SCA to produce an authentic kit that they would let you fight in. It would be unfair to critique the above photo because it wasn't designed with authenticity in mind.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Thats what I had figured..

So, where can I find info to make my soft kit more accurate..

Where is a good resource to find info on garb, as well as the accutriments that go along..

Hats, bags, bling, trim.. Those sorts of details..

Thanks !
Asumming you are "hell-bent" on historical accurasy and your resources allow you...

Ta SCA regulations make a 5th century hoplite innacurate but...

The 900-750 B.C. Geometric Era hoplite can provably satisfy SCA regulations and provide a fair amount of accuracy. Hoplites of the time were like medieval knights.

The info are scattered in the Greek section. The "Beotian shield" and "Archaic hoplite" threads come to mind.

1. collect info
2. Check with SCA
3. start making a Geometric hoplite
Avoid nylon and plastic items that come in contact with your body.

Good Luck!
Yeah its rather difficult to be "accurate" with all the SCA combat rules. But as far as just humping around at events in garb, the web is your oyster. There is some great info from folks on here about garb and accessories.

My personal advice to you though...don't take crap from anyone. A lot of people, the "Period Nazis" in particular, tend to throw a lot of mud at anyone trying anything pre "suggested" starting era. (Which is 400 AD by the way) They forget its actually still a game, and take it waaaay to seriously. The timeline has been an issue of debate for as long as I can remember. Myself and a few friends got all dolled up in full Roman kit, and it went over like a fart in church with some people we passed by, but we've been rocking the same gear/garb since we started, and will continue to do so.

So stick to you guns brother. Or in this case swords and spears. Don't let anyone dictate your persona for you.
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam
"I\'ll Either Find A Way Or Make One" from Hannibal

John Pruitt
Apparently my search-fu is weak and broken..

I cant find the threads speaking of garb trim, bags, hats, other accessories..

Anyone kind enough to throw me a thread line or perhaps a book title ?
The info is scattered in the huge number of threads in the forum. This makes it a bit difficult to find so general topics.

Ok,SCA is restrictive, However one of the things the above persona could have different is the shield. This looks nothing like the hoplite shields which could be round,dished with a rim, or in the boeotian/dipyllon style,but nothing like the one he is holding,which is smaller and has a boss. This is not a safety issue since i have seen other SCA hoplites with "argive" shields,as the round hoplite shields are called.

Also,while not implausible, the black colour of his spolas is far too much used by modern re-enactors and appears to be a rather rare colour for this type of armour. Still,most modern people consider it "cool"
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Arcaic hoplite 800 B.C.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/...ArmorC.jpg
A general 'SCA Help' addy would be www.spartanwarband.com. The main group is out of Southern Calif but there's a branch in Texas too.

They're also one of the groups now calling themselves the Ancient SCA unoffically which allows them to go pre-SCA time period.

As a past SCAIAN that plans on getting back into it / adding it to my travels come retirement and when I'm looking for something to do on a free weekend, just dressing down and wandering can be done on the cheap.

Here on the boards are some nice clothing threads or you can type in ancient greek clothing on the computer and come up with some listings. Go check out the Greek beginner's section here. I've even got one concerning items I learned the hard way.

For very basic -
Chiton, just a big rectangle of cloth. Either light wool (historical) or linen / cotton if Texas is as hot as they say it is.

Belt, piece of rope works great.

Trim, accurate would be sewn into the cloth. Less so a thin Greek Key pattern along the bottom.

Bling, depending on what time frame you go with your chiton will either be just the rectangle and you'll need something to pin it closed with at the right shoulder or partially or fully sewn at the shoulder, down the whole edge. In that case the only thing you could go for would be a cloak (Ephaptis) clasp.

For patterns I'd say animals or deity symbols (tripod for Apollo, club for Herc etc...)

Hat, straw / reed hat without the stiching around the rim. Low crown.

Baldric that's fairly short so the sword rides high towards the armpit. Plainest you can get.

Rope or leather sandles.

Bags, seems that nothing shows pouches which doesn't help folks walking around an event with a wallet, keys etc... but we all must make sacrifices.

Lunch pail. I'm going to go with some cloth leftovers and just roll up a light meal in it and wear it like a bandolier. For water I'm on the look out for a Leather Bottell.

Iraklis
Ira Gossett
For the bag you can use a net bag and Venitian Cat makes a really nice canteen.

Edward
Edward Lindey

A horse is a thing of beauty... none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.         Xenophon

This site may help a little:

http://www.larp.com/hoplite/

Kult of Athena carries pretty good shields and helmets (DSC made)

http://www.kultofathena.com/greek.asp
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/
Like folks have said, to do it and look historical, it really cant be done, not for heavy fighting. But you can try and come close.

Question you also have to ask yourself is tourney or melee.

Problem with a lot of early period kits for SCA, is well there really were not torneys, like we have them. So if you load yourself up with historic gear, it is going to slow you down, for tourneys. Melees, you will be fine, specially if you fight with a good core hammer unit.

I'm also working on my Greek kit again, though will be honest, its not going to be all that historically accurate. But I hope for it to instill the thought when folks who see me on the field, that its a Greek persona. I will just need to be better on my out of heavy kit. Plus being a knight in SCA, I dont feel like letting all the unbelts have to much fun with me, cause I loaded up on to much gear.

Right now working on just getting the pieces together, will have a little bit of it at Pennsic, but have a long way to go.
John Tibbs