Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making A Vimose Sword
Hi Robert,

these are also younger.
Most of the stuff from Vimose dates to the first half of the 3rd century.
regards
noxia /Suzi
WHY WHY WHY have I got the sword in my head as being 4th AD :oops: :oops: :oops: I understand what you mean now Suzana, Robert sorry for sending you on a chase for buckles for me :oops: I cannot understand why that came in my head stupid me. Centurian give me another. So I am back on track now looking for 3rd AD buckle Big Grin I have my eye on one or two hope to do next week :lol: On the plus side I have a nice selection of images for 4th AD buckles :wink: Also I have a date for the buckle I made it is from a sword find 375 - 450 AD and the strap end 300 - 350 AD which I have 4 images now of the same type result Big Grin
Sorry too all for my stupidness :oops:
Regards Brennivs Big Grin (A bit sore from hitting oneself with a Vitvs)
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Been busy with fittings Have decided to make a Phalera and baldric hinge terminal plate. Just need to make the other half of the hinge plate. Just did not think a buckle would work for the period. Just dont know what came over me :oops: Hope to post results soon and finish it so I can make a new sword :grin:
Regards Brennivs :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Just finished the bottom terminal plate aprox 5 hrs work and still a little bits to finish so here it is with Phalera;
[Image: 2015-04-29%2014.00.44.jpg]
The Phalera is from Vimose, the top plate from the Zugmantel, needs a little finishing and the hinge plate from a metal detecting find UK all will be silvered. cup of tea now and back to do the finishing Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Busy finishing silvering of fittings will post later today? if I can, but will have it finished :lol: but I have finished the buckle I made not in context but it was worth it :whistle:
[Image: 2015-05-07%2013.18.30.jpg]
I wish I could have used a garnet but I think it is a nice stone. Cup Of tea and hands dirty again :errr:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Is this sword shape still in use in the 5th century?
Alan not to my knowledge, there are still longish swords some with a slight tapper but not any of the same blade profile. As it is from the 3rd AD when there was a move to cavalry, it is most likely used for that purpose.
I have now finished the sword yerrrrrrrrr it has been a long ride but I have enjoyed making it I hope the next one will be quickier :lol: :whistle: All the baldric is done and I hope you like ;-)
[Image: 2015-05-07%2014.52.29.jpg]
[Image: 2015-05-07%2014.52.42.jpg]
[Image: 2015-05-07%2014.58.00.jpg]
Just made one mistake in the previous post the baldric plate is from Lyon Burial not Zugmantel silly me :oops:
Still with all the help I have recieved from the Forum many thanks to all, it has showen me there is a lot of beautiful swords to be made so in a few years I will visit and make another type :grin: For now I am moving onto a Pompeii Gladivs have a good Idea for the project so will post and have it made this year :-D :-D :lol: Please ask any questions I will try to answer ;-)
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
I am totally jealous. It is too beautiful
Leonardo thank you :oops: :oops: Big Grin I am glad you like it. I needed time and thought to make it :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
like it! mostly the handle

do you have some data of the sword? weight, measurements, etc.
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
Here you go Jurgen :lol:
Weight; 2lb 11oz or 1.23kg.
Overale length; 39" or 990mm.
Hilt; 7" or 178mm in length.
Blade length; 32" or 812mm.
Blade width; 1 1/2" or 40mm.
The stud work and size of the wood pommel/gaurd has added quiet a bit weight to this sword which works great to balance the sword. the blade is the second one I have done see below,
[Image: P7301572.jpg]
I now have photos of this sword in action on horse back running down Barbarian cabbages :razz: :whistle: this just has a wood hilt but is off a similier length and is good to see one of my swords in action will post when I can download them. To date the sword has been handled by a few people and they have had no problems in how it feels even those who dont reanact work friends ect.
Hope this is of help thanks for asking :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Quote:Here you go Jurgen

Stunning!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  vimose belt article needed jvrjenivs 1 865 10-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Medicus matt
  Sword and knife making Marcus Mummius 7 2,467 01-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Sword Making Tutorial Make Your Own Gladius Titus Publius Saturninus 92 23,370 06-07-2007, 05:03 AM
Last Post: Marcus Hortensius Castus