Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lead from Roman ships used in nuclear Physics
Weird.
[url:of732iln]http://www.physorg.com/news190646406.html[/url]
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Indeed very weird they just gave it away for use as a shielding cover for modern experiments. Sad
ALA I BATAVORUM
Huh, kind of interesting, really! That lead had a particular isotope makeup, due to being refined 2000 years ago but sitting underwater since then, that made it ideal for this application. All the historically significant stamps and such were removed first, so all that got melted down was lead. And it looks like 30 bricks are still untouched, which is still a heck of a pile of Roman lead! For museums or other institutes that are already short on storage space, I really don't see any big problem here. It's not like statues are going to be ground up for making cement, or anything. Though I will say that it would be neat to be able to buy things like that on the open market! A neat otherwise-useless artifact to show off, and money for the museum.

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
I agree with Matt.....it's not so weird. As one of the comments pointed out, radiation-free iron was recovered from the scuttled German High Seas Fleet at Scapa Flow ( surrendered after WW1) for similar reasons.....it pre-dated the first Atomic bomb ( which contaminated the whole Earth) and all those subsequently, not to mention Chernobyl. 'New' iron ore, like the Lead, is contaminated with radiation from the Earth........
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Technically, the idea is good. Instead of polluting the envirornment further by having to mine and process the lead to use in the experiment, which by the way could lead to the obscuring of data, it is good to use this old lead that is just taking up space. For the experiments they are proposing, you really do not want any other emissions to take place other than the emission of any subatomic particle.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:As one of the comments pointed out, radiation-free iron was recovered from the scuttled German High Seas Fleet at Scapa Flow ( surrendered after WW1) for similar reasons.....it pre-dated the first Atomic bomb ( which contaminated the whole Earth) and all those subsequently, not to mention Chernobyl. 'New' iron ore, like the Lead, is contaminated with radiation from the Earth........

There was a similar thing with the armour plate removed from the WW I battleships of the British Fleet when these were scrapped at the end of WW II. I think they also used the armour from the King George V class and also possibly HMS Vanguard - because the iron in the steel had been extracted prior to the detonation of the wartime (and post war) nuclear weapons. The steel was used as shielding for detection equipment used in hospital radiography.

MIke Thomas
(Caratacus)
visne scire quod credam? credo orbes volantes exstare.
I was aware pre-WWII iron scrap was being used for reasons similar to this, but I never imagined lead. Thanks for the interesting article!:-DSmile
Brent Grolla

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman ships from Utrecht, The Netherlands Robert Vermaat 1 2,063 02-21-2013, 11:06 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Roman Navy Ships Buneauinfo 1 1,354 01-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Medusa Gladiatrix
  Roman lead slingshot slinger 1 1,483 04-19-2007, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tommy303