Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flowers for Divus Julius.
I have recently learned, with great emotion, I should add, that fresh flowers were still laid on the site of Julius Caesar's funeral pyre on the forum.<br>
I wonder if our Roman friends could do two things for us:<br>
First: Try figure out how old this tradition is. It may date back from Mussolini.<br>
Second: Whether it dates back from Benito or not, I think a laurel crown would be in order, compliments of RAT to one of his earliest founders.. <p></p><i></i>
i must confess that when i was in Rome several years ago, i also was a little bit emotional when i visited JC funeral pyre.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Wow- I had no idea that this was an ongoing affair. I saw the flowers back in '99 when I visited JC's pyre site. Took a bunch of pics (including one of me, the pyre and flowers). Wish I knew it was a tradition, would have left some flowers myself.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
I was visited Rome in mid March 2001, several days after the assassination date of March 15. There were flowers placed on pyre behind the rostrum where Marcus Antonius gave his funeral oration. I also have a picture of a statue of Caesar just outside the forum and the statue has a wreath on the outstretched arm. <p></p><i></i>