Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New forum/Community
Hi Robert,
Christy worked on converting a template. Apparently the templating system for this forum is a b*tch, but it has a nice feature to combine with the overall template. That's causing the text size differences.
The preview function is 'off' on this version of the forum system for technical reasons (and not my choice), but is expected to return in a next version.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Hi Robert,
Christy worked on converting a template. Apparently the templating system for this forum is a b*tch, but it has a nice feature to combine with the overall template. That's causing the text size differences.
The preview function is 'off' on this version of the forum system for technical reasons (and not my choice), but is expected to return in a next version.
- text sizes: OK, I think she did a great job. It was just that I noticed that on the Indez Page, the size of 'new' posts was larger.
- preview: Noted!

How about the link to the profile?

And yet another new qustion: can we still use the 'sticky' function?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:New question: there was a preview function on RAT3. Is it possible to have one here as well?
That feature was very useful. Let's hope that it will return!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
- Profile: in due course this'll be unified to be one and the same. On your Community Profile page is now a 'Forum' tab.
- Sticky: I have a sticky button at the top of the thread. As Global Moderator, you should too?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Sorry Jasper, no intention of pestering you, just reporting stuff I did not come across earlier.
Quote:- Profile: in due course this'll be unified to be one and the same. On your Community Profile page is now a 'Forum' tab.
- Sticky: I have a sticky button at the top of the thread. As Global Moderator, you should too?
- profile: I know of that tab, but it just leads me back to the forum. But on the forum, when I click on 'profile', it leads me to the community profile. You sent me a link for the Forum profile page, which is what I'm using now.
- sticky. Ah, I noticed it. I thought all the previous stickies were gone and missed the button. it take some getting used to!Big Grin

New inquiery: when I log out (or when I'm logged out, which seems to happen a lot faster than on RAT3), all the 'unead' messages are 'read' whe I log in again. This also happened on RAT2 (I think), but on RAT3 the remained unread. Is this a correct observation?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:I know of that tab, but it just leads me back to the forum
See the little triangle to the right of the right-hand Forum tab here? http://www.ancient-warfare.org/community...r-oorthuys

Read/unread/logout time: these are settings that I can control I think. Maybe we'll have to investigate which is the best balance.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Hi Jasper

Just reporting a glitch - apol's if it's already been noted.

Responded to TOPIC: Reset problem briefly. Was acknowledged on Community tabbed page, but my reply doesn't show on that thread. I replied clicking "REPLY TOPIC" (lower left, above footer) - was this the problem?

As for RAT4 generally - epic. Congrats to all who brought it about.

Cheers
Spurius Papirius Cursor (Howard Russell)
"Life is still worthwhile if you just smile."
(Turner, Parsons, Chaplin)
Greetings to all who migrated from the old forum. You may remember me as Justin of the New Yorkii, but the e-mail address linked with that username has since been deactivated, so I decided to create a new name instead and pay some homage to my ignorant old Byzantine namesake.
Hi Howard
That's not a glitch, it's a feature. That forum allows guests to posts, so I set it on 'moderated' (ie: needs to be checked before the post is released) to prevent spammers.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Thanks Jasper

It explains the "guest has created a thread..." on the Community page which got my attention. Also a relief to know I "hadn't broken something":wink: .
Spurius Papirius Cursor (Howard Russell)
"Life is still worthwhile if you just smile."
(Turner, Parsons, Chaplin)
Quote:See the little triangle to the right of the right-hand Forum tab here?
I do! Thanks!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Nice Job .thanks Big Grin
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
At the possible risk of being in the minority of one ... why on earth was the forum changed? I actually prefered it the way it was a few days ago. Everything is so huge (especially avatars) now. You end up scrolling down through lots of blanks space between bits of text. I am of course grateful for the hardwork everybody puts into running this forum and it is entirely up to them what they do with it - but what are the benefits to this new graphic approach and what are the improvements to the way the site functions?

Regards ...
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
I was a little disoriented at first, but after spending some time learning my way around I think everything looks nice and the large type is great for old farts like me! Tongue

Although I am a bit confused as to why we have all been busted down rank.:?

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Hi Howard,
It has been my intention for years to finally merge the forum and main website into a community as was envisioned 10 years ago when it was founded. It has now become technically possible to allow all members to have blogs, galleries and write contributions to the site. Some of that is available right now, some not yet.
What mattered in the short term was getting both in the same technical framework. A side advantage is that upgrading the site is now a) half the work as there's only one site b) much easier with this software.
Both template and site settings may need some work. Everyone's feedback will be appreciated, but please also give yourself some time to get used to the new setup.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys