Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fractured Phalanx
Indeed, our sources on sarissai in India are pretty sparse. The author I have in mind regarding the sarissa as a possible anti-elephant device is a modern one (I encounted this some time last year amidst my researches, but noted it only in passing; hopefully, I'll eventually run down just where I saw this and pass it along). Elsewhere, the comments on real killers being 'silent but deadly' puts me in mind of the characterization of Spartan troops in the classical period as advancing slowly and in silence save for their pipes, contrasting with the noisy rush of other Greeks. It's easy to see how the Spartans held others in distain as being full of "false courage," while their own composure unsettled foes in that it signaled an intent not to engage in any sort of 'sporting contest,' but rather to commit cold-blooded murder. The Persian Immortals, another well-regarded collection of elite fighters, seem to have had a similar tendency to march into battle in lethal silence.
It\'s only by appreciating accurate accounts of real combat past and present that we can begin to approach the Greek hoplite\'s hard-won awareness of war\'s potential merits and ultimate limitations.

- Fred Eugene Ray (aka "Old Husker")
Quote:... And some wonder at the possible friction between Alexander and his European regent. That, though, is to anticipate.

Or to antipatate if you'll forgive the dreadful pun :oops: :wink:
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Quote:Or to antipatate if you'll forgive the dreadful pun :oops: :wink:

He, he, he.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
Quote:The author I have in mind regarding the sarissa as a possible anti-elephant device is a modern one...

In which case one can only think that he / she relies on the Curtius line and / or the actions of Ptolemy at Camels Fort. Again, neither would strongly imply a lengthening of the sarissa.

Quote: Elsewhere, the comments on real killers being 'silent but deadly' puts me in mind of the characterization of Spartan troops in the classical period as advancing slowly and in silence save for their pipes, contrasting with the noisy rush of other Greeks. It's easy to see how the Spartans held others in distain as being full of "false courage," while their own composure unsettled foes in that it signaled an intent not to engage in any sort of 'sporting contest,' but rather to commit cold-blooded murder.

Yes, Thucydides noted that of the Spartans at Mantinea if I recall. More important, I suppose, is the intent. Many will have marched into a battle because they were "conscripted" or otherwise compelled to be there; others were a coldly and dangerously different kettle of fish. Plutarch's phrase describing the argyrapsides as "falling upon them (Antigonus' Macedonians) in a rage" comes to mind.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu