Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gladius Questions Multi-Part
Long time no speak... first and foremost. It's been a while since I've posted. Anyway, I have a few questions. I haven't gotten into re-enacting yet because of work schedules and finances. Been putting it off for a bit now for longer than necessary. Now with a nice little raise I can start putting some aside for a decent kit and here’s my dilemma.

I at first thought I would want a Republic-Empire era kit (Caesar / Octavian era). So I was told to look into the Mainz blade. Now I’m thinking I may want to go a bit further into the late 1st Century to the 2nd Century (loving the Lorica Segmentata over the Hamata).

So now I’m at a point where I want to purchase a gladius. I can probably budget about $300 at best for one and need to know what is the best (and most historically accurate) option?

What I want is something that can stand up and perform well but also look good on display. I’m planning on having a room in my house dedicated to history… where I plan to have on display various armors, swords, etc. This is for my kids mostly… to show an evolution in warfare while educating them. I have a strong Greek background so I’m wanting a full Roman kit and then a limited kit for a Greek (Spartan) Hoplite. From there over the next 10 years I’m wanting to have a renaissance era, WWII, and present day set up.

Anyway… what do you guys suggest for the sword, and along with that, what out there is good for basic sparring? I’m wanting to demonstrate to my son who’s now 5 years old and get him into history and possibly re-enacting in the future. Having a sword or two in the future that we could use for sparring would be nice. Right now I’ve got a waster wooden Gladius and thought about getting a second one for him.

Thoughts guys? Keeping in mind the era and budget… what’s a good kit sword and what’s a good sparring sword?
"It is the brave man\'s part to live with glory, or with glory die."
- Nomen: (T.J. Young)
Ave!

You've probably graduated beyond the "Beginners" section by now, eh? In any case, for sparring I'd stick with wooden swords, ESPECIALLY with kids. Heck, foam boffer swords! Or the latex LARP swords you can get these days look pretty good. Then get a decent real one, not sharp, for reenacting. If you want to do cutting, get a high-quality sharp one, with or without scabbard. Sorry, there goes your budget! But you're talking about 3 rather different activities, so you'll need different tools.

The Mainz style is still fine for much of the first century AD. But it will be easier to find a reasonably accurate Pompeii, such as the Deepeeka "N" series one. Heck, you might even get the el-cheapo Find-It Pompeii and do some modifications to make it quite nice.

Since I haven't done any cutting, I'm not sure where to steer you for a sword that's good for that, in your price range. Albion's are certainly excellent, but currently about $600 without scabbard. Other folks can give you more advice.

For a wooden sword, get a piece of oak or other hardwood, cut out a gladius outline with a roundy point, and file the grip into a comfy shape. Done!

Good luck, and watch where you point that thing!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Matt is right. Different grade swords are used for different activities. Display and reenactment purposes you would be fine with a Deepeeka made sword. Try Soul of the Warrior.com and take a look at what they have.

Legion: TBD