Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
accurate translation of \'sting\'
Is the word 'FODIO' an accurate translation of the english word 'sting' into Latin?
Underhill Edge

Hand forged edged tools, blades, and functioning historical reproductions.

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
Does his help?

http://www.latin-dictionary.net/q/english/sting.html
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
To make things easier, do you mean "sting" as a verb or a noun? It would affect the choice of word ending, odds are.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Noun please, and yes I got the word from a number of online translators, just checking my grammer and such. Lets just say I am naming my sword
Underhill Edge

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
The dictionary says, aculeus means sting, masculine noun, or ictus, masculine noun as in "wound".
The reverse lookup puts aculeus as sting, prickle or barb and ictus as a stroke, blow or wound.

So there you go. Hope that helps.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thank you, it does very much! Any more help on the real meaning of Fodio would also be helpful
Underhill Edge

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
Have you tried the web site I suggested above? It gave 17 possible translation of "sting" - thought you may have looked at it... :wink:

It does Latin/English and English Latin translations and is very easy to use. Big Grin
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Have you tried the web site I suggested above? It gave 17 possible translation of "sting" - thought you may have looked at it... :wink:

It does Latin/English and English Latin translations and is very easy to use. Big Grin

I did use it thank you very much, I think I will actually use the term 'Morsus' or 'aculeus' both sound deadly
Underhill Edge

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
There are so many shades of meaning for the word "sting" that it's hard to know what you are looking for.
Mild acid "stings"
Nettles "sting"
A wasp "stings"
A sharp rebuke "stings"

You get the idea, and maybe that explains our vague answers.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Any more help on the real meaning of Fodio would also be helpful
You've selected a verb, Jack. Fodio means "I dig" (as in digging a ditch) -- the infinitive, "to dig", is fodere. From that basic meaning, it also comes to mean prodding or goading, which is maybe why you thought it was linked with stinging. :?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
jackmcauliffe:3toq5fil Wrote:Any more help on the real meaning of Fodio would also be helpful
You've selected a verb, Jack. Fodio means "I dig" (as in digging a ditch) -- the infinitive, "to dig", is fodere. From that basic meaning, it also comes to mean prodding or goading, which is maybe why you thought it was linked with stinging. :?

The reason I thought it ment 'sting' was that I looked up latin translations for sting and it came up... I clearly don't know anything about the language, Which is where all of you come in!! Big Grin
Underhill Edge

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
Quote:There are so many shades of meaning for the word "sting" that it's hard to know what you are looking for.
Mild acid "stings"
Nettles "sting"
A wasp "stings"
A sharp rebuke "stings"

You get the idea, and maybe that explains our vague answers.

lets say to be more specific. A sword stings, and said sword might be named with the noun sting!
Underhill Edge

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
Yes, it might.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I think I will actually use the term 'Morsus' or 'aculeus' both sound deadly
Morsus is more of a "bite" (from the verb mordeo -- dogs can be described as mordax, "biting").

If it were up to me, I'd go for aculeus, which is the diminutive of acus, meaning a needle. A "little needle" comes to mean "sting" (e.g. a wasp's "little needle"). In fact, Livy uses the word to indicate the point of an arrow, aculeus sagittae (Livy 38.21.11, translated here as "head of an arrow").
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/