Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romans in Scotland, Edinburgh
Looks like I am vacationing around Edinburgh in July. Is the Antonine group around there? Any other Romans? I may even want to see the site of the " deceit of the Campbells", a phrase which rolled unnervingly out of the mouth of a young Scottish woman my wife works with. I thought that hatchet was buried, or should I wear chain mail under my shirt?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Just be careful about having lunch at MacDonald's while you're there...

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Make sure you visit the Museum. It has a basement full of Roman artifacts.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:visit the Museum

Edinburg Museum?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Edinburgh Museum! A good selection of finds, from Newstead, and the Antionine wall area.
some nice helmets, a Horse harness and saddle remains...etc.
If you're on Facebook, I have a couple of photos to give you an idea.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Have a quick preview...

http://nms.scran.ac.uk/database/results ... m=Newstead

and the Home Page

http://www.nms.ac.uk/our_museums/nation ... visit.aspx
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Great link Moi!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The Newstead collection is amazing. Must get up to see it myself one day - particularly the horse bits they have.

The Trustees of the Museum have very kindly let me use their images of the Newstead curb and the other Roman horse bits in an article I wrote so it is only fair, I feel, to promote their excellent collection

I also think it is a very good website.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Ive been trying to get some good high definition photos of the horse harness parts to have a reconstruction made.
Do you have any idea who I could approach for this?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Ive been trying to get some good high definition photos of the horse harness parts to have a reconstruction made.
Do you have any idea who I could approach for this?

Have PM'd you
Moi Watson

Quote:I may even want to see the site of the " deceit of the Campbells", a phrase which rolled unnervingly out of the mouth of a young Scottish woman my wife works with.
I've never heard that phrase, although I am well aware that it probably refers to the 1692 Massacre of Glencoe (which is not particularly near Edinburgh, but probably do-able as a day trip). The story is certainly one of deceit, but is widely misunderstood, even in Scotland: there was no particular enmity between Campbells and Macdonalds. (No more than between any other two clans!)

In Edinburgh, the National Museum of Scotland is certainly worth a visit, but I'm sure you'll find all sorts of other non-Roman activities in the town. If you're really keen to see Roman military remains, you could get yourself a guide book to the Antonine Wall and make your way to Bonnybridge, where you'll find a beautiful little (largely unspoiled) Roman fort at Rough Castle.

I hope the sun shines! :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/