Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first later helmet
I am a college student and apprentice blacksmith trying to make a living doing just that. For about a year now I have been working with metal and trying to learn the skills and trades specifically related to historical smithing and reproductions. I want to become a bladesmith in time but recently armour has been the focus of my attention.

This the first real helmet I have MADE, I say real because the other two were not from scratch like this one. It is solid brass, red and yellow, and I threw in some copper to be a rebel (honestly I ran out of brass).

Now this is no beautiful work of art and I am fully aware of its faults both historical and artistically. The triangular copper edging was really to cover up some holes from the kickplates I made the dome out of and to bring some original flare. The design came from later roman shields so its not totally made up. I have yet to perfect the design, and size relations hence the large dome small rim large nose piece ect.

Now If you please would give any feedback I would greatly appreciate it from such an educated group of people. Dont be afriad to give it your worst, if everyone said it was perfect I would have no motivation to do better next time, which is what I plan on! However, keep in mind I am only 19 and in college so I have yet to completly devote my life to this art, but if any of you have some support or inspiration I would really appreciate the backing of you all to persue this further.

If you want to buy one of these for yourself my website is
http://jackmcauliffearmsandarmour.webs.com/

If anything is over priced, let me know and I will gladly take it down to what is more suitable!
Underhill Edge

Hand forged edged tools, blades, and functioning historical reproductions.

underhilledge.com

Jack McAuliffe
Hello,

Your work looks great. I am a blacksmith myself and the one piece of advice I can offer is that it is VERY difficult to do it as your sole profession. The good news is that it is still lots of fun - even if you have to keep your day job and do it on the side - this is what I currently do.

Best of luck!Big Grin
MARCVS VELIVS AVITVS (Reid Neilsen)
LEGIO VII GEMINA FELIX
"SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERUDITIONIS HABES"

http://www.whitemountainforge.com