Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philip the Arab: A Study in Prejudice
Has anyone read this book? Was published in 2001 and was written by Yasmine Zahran. Is it worth spending the $50?<br>
<br>
Further, is "Philippus Arabs, ein Soldatenkaiser in der Tradition des Antoninisch-Severischen Prinzipats" by Christian Korner worth $100 and translating everything from German to English (with no prior knowledge of German)?<br>
<br>
Needless to say, I'm very interested in Philip and there certainly aren't many books out there about him.<br>
<br>
Thanks. <p></p><i></i>
Could you summarize the thesis of the book?<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
"Synopsis<br>
When Philip the Arab came to the Roman throne in the third century AD, "the Empire", in the words of the sophist Nicarogas, "was tossing as in a great storm or earthquake, and floundering like a ship being carried off to the ends of the Earth". The rise of Philip, an Arab of a peripheral tribe in Arabia, to the throne of the Ceasars in the millennium of the birth of the Roman Empire, was a momentous event in Islamic history. A man of intelligence and immense determination, he brought the "ship" under control and "secured her at anchor". This book offers an account of the Emperor Philip's life and achievements. The author presents a picture of a humane and just man, standing fast against overwhelming odds - a crumbling empire, a ruined economy, usurptions, betrayal, prejudice and denigration - and rising above them." <p></p><i></i>
Islamic? Crap!<br>
What about Aurelian and finally Diocletian. <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
How weird that "a momentous event in islamic history" happened before the Islamic religion even existed. Was not Muhammud born about 570 C.E. and 622 C.E. the beginning of the Muslim calendar?<br>
<br>
Wendy <p></p><i></i>
Wendy- That's probably because certain spheres of Islam have claimed the slightly older Arabic history as their own.<br>
<br>
Hottoq- I have not read any of Zahran's works myself- she is described in some circles as a "distinguished scholar and historian" but the only other work that I am familiar with of hers is a novel, <em>A Beggar at the Damascus Gate</em>, or something like that. $50 seems a bit steep for something that doesn't automatically elicit some kind of recognition from somebody. Have you checked your local library first so you can read it and decide if it is worth the money?<br>
<br>
I also did a bit of searching around, seems Zahran also wrote a book on Septimius Severus, advertised as a history book, but written in a very fanciful style: it is told in 1st person (autobiographical-like), narrated to the author. That right there should sound the warning bells.<br>
<br>
I don't know anything about the book in German you mentioned. Sorry.<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=frankmiranda>Frank Miranda</A> at: 6/27/03 9:28 pm<br></i>
<br>
"That's probably because certain spheres of Islam have claimed the slightly older Arabic history as their own."<br>
<br>
In other words its all crap. Why be gentle? In my field if someone writes crapy stuff you tell him and he best get his act together or people will stop listening. Why, in this case, be gentle. Afraid of offending? "Stick and stones may break my bones but words will never hert me."<br>
<br>
p.s. I admit I am only basing myself on the description but even the roman history part is crap. The efforts a string of talented emperors saved the empire. Over simplification and downright falsification with a political agenda. Two ingredients for quality crap.<br>
<br>
p.p.s. I have no intention of buying the book so it might seem I am not giving the author a chance. Life is too short. <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
Way to go, goffredo!<br>
<br>
My thoughts, however, are so "politically incorrect" that I wouldn't dare post them here. <br>
<br>
Wendy <p></p><i></i>
Considering that Philp was before Decius (dead in battle against Goths) and Valerian (defeated and captured by Shapor), and many other terrible things (many murders, revolts, provinces breaking away), and that only latter did matters start getting systematically better (Claudius and Aurelian and finally Diocletian) I would say the worst period was just after Philip! Any experts out there? Of course if you liked the Philip book then you are not qualified. There might even be some pnygeric or coin or inscription saying that philip saved the empire, but at best we might say his contriubtion was one amoung many.<br>
<br>
Claudius, Aurelian and Diocletian were from the balkans. Now if some balkan cultural or political group started saying "Hey, we are tough and resourceful guys. We saved the roman empire!" I would say "By golly, its true!" <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
How weird that "a momentous event in islamic history" happened before the Islamic religion even existed. Was not Muhammud born about 570 C.E. and 622 C.E. the beginning of the Muslim calendar?<br>
<br>
Wendy<br>
<br>
<br>
Yeah, so? In Islamic history, Islam started with Adam and Eve, not Muhammud... <p></p><i></i>
Yes, just as Christian history doesn't begin with the birth of Jesus, nor does Islam begin with the birth of Mohammed. <p></p><i></i>
I see your point MarkA.<br>
However, it could be said that Christian and Judaic history began with Adam and Eve, yet christianity for example does not claim Julius Caesar, Augustus etc as part of christian history just because the empire later embraced that religion.<br>
It might have been more accurate to claim Philip as a part of Arab history. This lack of distinction only highlights the doubts expressed above about the seriousness of the work, though I guess it was the publisher rather than the author who described it thus.<br>
<br>
Jackie.<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Hi Jackie<br>
its good you make the effort to see MarkA's point but the really interesting quetion is whether MarkA gets THE point.<br>
In my opinion there is A POINT:<br>
Knowledge and politics/ideologies/religion just don't mix. When you try mixing them knowledge suffers as it gets pruned, filtered, distorted, if not completely invented, all to the purpose of supporting a world view with the best of intentions.<br>
(who said that "Hell is paved with good intentions".) <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
I see the point, however, like Jackie said it might have been a publisher's error ruther than the author's. Anyways, I have not read the book, so I could not say if that is the case or not... <p></p><i></i>
"a momentous event in islamic history"<br>
<br>
Of course, it is just as much a momentous event in Christian history, if you want to believe Eusebius, anyway...but then that's the advantage of retroactively adopting pedigrees.<br>
<p></p><i></i>