Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tabernae, cauponae, etc.
Hello.
I know about tabernae, cauponae, mansiones and similar structures for drinking and/or eating and/or sleeping in imperial roman world.
But:
- When do these structures appear?
- Is there something similar in the greek world?
- What about etruscans, carthaginians, etc. (for example in harbors or emporia?)
Kosios (Livio Asta)
There's a very interesting article by Bradley A. Ault in the book "Ancient Greek Houses and Households: Chronological, Regional, and Social Diversity" entitled "Housing the Poor and Homeless in Ancient Greece." It includes an extensive and up-to-date discussion of the evidence for inns, hostels, hotels, etc. in the ancient Greek world. From what I remember, they could be quite large, and many of the ones which are known from excavations were associated with important travel destinations like sanctuaries; there is little evidence for such buildings prior to the Hellenistic period. If you can get a hold of it through a local university library or inter-library loan, I would highly recommend you do.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian