Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greece as a Province?
I know this has likely already been discussed on here before,but I didnt see too much direct discussion,at least from the 6 months. I wondered how easily or not the Greek states fell into line after the Roman conquest of Macedonia. I'm sure that there were at least some rebellions in the early decades of occupation. Any insight on that??

Am I correct in assuming that after the defeat of Macedonia and her armies that the Legions simply muscled aside the remaining Greek kingdoms? I know that there glory days were long over by this period,but what was status of say the old power houses of Athens,Sparta,Corinth,etc. I do know Sulla is given alot of credit for crushing an 88BC revolt led by Athens,I believe.
A. Dominicus Bejarius
(aka Adam Dominguez)
LEG X FRE
From the Roman point of view, the Greeks were often an unruly bunch. During some periods they had a habit of making life difficult for Rome, through riots or rebellions or enthusiastically supporting dark horses in Roman civil conflicts.

The Greeks were justifiably proud of their long history and culture. Some had resentment against Rome that lasted for generations. I just read a remarkable book, Hellenism and Empire, about how some Greek elites viewed Rome in the age of the Antoines. (Review here.)

While trying to find some dates of Greek shenanigans I discovered this nice series of syllabi from a class at St. Andrews. Here are some that I thought were interesting:

Lecture 2.

Lecture 3. (This one might deal most specifically with what you are asking. It includes some dates of Greek rebellions.)

Lecture 4.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Wuw,uber cool info! I never knew that Corinth was restablished as a Roman Colony and that Augustus spent so much time in Athens. Much thanks Epictetus!
A. Dominicus Bejarius
(aka Adam Dominguez)
LEG X FRE
A colony was a legal term, and sometimes it can get really confusing. Sometimes an existing town was simply made a colony, sometimes settlers were added to a town, and sometimes an entirely new town was created. For example, it appears that Sinope was simultaneously a Greek polis and a Roman colony, or in other words there were two legal communities living in one town. I'm not sure how this worked in practice.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Some cities like Sparta became free cities. This was because they had often wisely/luckily sided with the winning side during the civil wars. Also in Sparta's case there was the curiosity factor of certain ossified cultural activities preserved for tourists (such as the floggings at the shrine of Artemis Orthia) and the belief amongst some Romans that they were somehow descended from the Spartans.
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]