Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Children -Re-enactment on the March
Quote:Cannot see your link, but,
A. Lets remember the Romans were part of the iron age.
B. The carbatinae are a multi-culturaland long lived shoe. Even into the Viking age.

Another example.
http://mediomatrici.gaulois.over-blog.c ... 76725.html

Hi Byron,
I think we should stop discussion, as it wouldn't lead anywhere. I'm still not convinced, as you come up again with a site from re-enactors, where no source is mentioned. As I tried to say all examples we know of this pattern are from much earlier period. Prehistoric/pre-Roman that is. But you can use them, if you like!
Now enough over these shoes. In my opinion we can't support that type of footwear for the Roman period.

On your other points.
A) I don't agree either. The iron age is the last of the pre-historic period. i.e. it ends with Roman conquest. Thus when stating it is an iron age shoe, that means it's from before Roman conquest, so before Ceasar came to the north, if we talk about gallia, germania and britannia, where we know this type of shoe from the archeological record.
B) I din't say anything about the historical term carbatinae. It's a multitcultural shoe indeed. I only say that we have no proof of this being used in the Roman period, so we've better examples to name 'cabartinae'. All I said was about the reproductions of a piece from the pre-Roman archeological record. Hope this makes it clear.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Messages In This Thread
Re: Children -Re-enactment on the March - by Doc - 12-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Re: Children -Re-enactment on the March - by Jvrjenivs - 01-04-2011, 09:01 PM