Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Children -Re-enactment on the March
Quote: I do appreciate the information on the shoes as I agree with Mr. Vermaat it is very important for kids. I have Googled the subject, but specific advice on from whom to order would be helpful. You gentlemen have experience with shoe makers, and the pictures indicate appropriate types. I noticed that the little boy in the second photo has hobnails on his shoe. Interesting.
Jeroen was alweays running around on thin soles, until his legs got tired and we decided to provide him with proper shoes a few years ago. he needs supporting soles now, which are worn in his Roman shoes.
He's had hobnails for two years now and likes them. His sister on the other hand does not. :wink:

Quote:One last item regarding footwear might be udones. The children in the photos are wearing socks, and the udones I have seen on line are nearly all heavy wool. Here is gets very warm (often 90F) in the summer, and I suspect not every child in the 4th century wore such things in summer. For practical reasons in very warm weather, does anyone suggest just regular cotton socks or none at all when wearing carbatinae?
In the summer it is hard to get American kids into anything but flip flops. Smile
I would recommend against cotton socks, provided you can make them so that they do not cause blisters. Wool can be thin - it does not have to be a winter sock!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Children -Re-enactment on the March - by Doc - 12-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Re: Children -Re-enactment on the March - by Robert Vermaat - 12-31-2010, 03:59 PM