Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Children -Re-enactment on the March
As we here are all new to the re-enactment milieu, all this help and input is very much appreciated. In Pennsylvania there seems to be little history before Gettysburg. Smile

Just by observation it seems the clothing would be largely greys or browns - undyed material, perhaps white for summer. The appropriate shoes would be carbatinae, and no older military footwear certainly for the boys. Last evening at a social event, I spoke with a neighbor who does seamstress work on her own. She said with photos and patterns she can make them any clothing they need.

I do appreciate the information on the shoes as I agree with Mr. Vermaat it is very important for kids. I have Googled the subject, but specific advice on from whom to order would be helpful. You gentlemen have experience with shoe makers, and the pictures indicate appropriate types. I noticed that the little boy in the second photo has hobnails on his shoe. Interesting.

One last item regarding footwear might be udones. The children in the photos are wearing socks, and the udones I have seen on line are nearly all heavy wool. Here is gets very warm (often 90F) in the summer, and I suspect not every child in the 4th century wore such things in summer. For practical reasons in very warm weather, does anyone suggest just regular cotton socks or none at all when wearing carbatinae?

In the summer it is hard to get American kids into anything but flip flops. Smile
Mike Benedict

Messages In This Thread
Re: Children -Re-enactment on the March - by Doc - 12-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Re: Children -Re-enactment on the March - by Chlodovicus - 12-31-2010, 03:51 PM