Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warthog tusk pendant WIP
Hi guys,
these are some pictures of my latest works: warthog tusk pendant.
Not yet been completed, follow new images soon ... hope you like them!
Are two different types, with a brass stock removal, and another whit more complex lost wax bronze.

[Image: IMG_0029800x600640x480.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0032800x600640x480.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0036800x600640x480.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0040800x600640x480.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0046800x600640x480.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0049800x600640x480.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0052800x600640x480.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0053800x600640x480.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0056800x600640x480.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0059800x600640x480.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0060800x600640x480.jpg]
[Image: IMG_0062800x600640x480.jpg]
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Excellent work, as always, sir. What fastens the metal to the tooth on the inside? Or, how is the metal attached?

[Translation courtesy Google Translate: http://translate.google.com/ }Che fissa il metallo al dente sulla parte interna? Oppure, come è il metallo collegate? Is that a good translation? I'm starting to trust this website more.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Excellent work, as always, sir. What fastens the metal to the tooth on the inside? Or, how is the metal attached?

[Translation courtesy Google Translate: http://translate.google.com/ }Che fissa il metallo al dente sulla parte interna? Oppure, come è il metallo collegate? Is that a good translation? I'm starting to trust this website more.

Hi,
google translate is understandable...but your Italian is much better :wink:

However, the two metal parts have a long protuberance that I trap inside the natural cavity of the tusk and further secured with a special resin ... a modern product (hidden) i think is a good guarantee.
Another way is to use a pin, perhaps in my next pendant.
This is a roman metal shape pendant on which I based to replicate mine.
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Wow! Yours looks a lot newer! :lol:
I would think they might have used some kind of pitch or other cement, so using modern cement inside shouldn't be a problem. Pins work, too, so either/both would be molto bene, if you ask me.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
it looks excelent, but is it a warthog? or a Boar. did the romans knew the warthog. I think you just mis translated the animal.
Very good work indeed.
for us all
FELIX DIES NATIVILATIS
PROSPERITAS ANNUS MMXI
SALVE
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Quote:it looks excelent, but is it a warthog? or a Boar. did the romans knew the warthog. I think you just mis translated the animal.
Very good work indeed.
for us all
FELIX DIES NATIVILATIS
PROSPERITAS ANNUS MMXI
SALVE

Hi,
I do not know if I'm wrong translation, you know that my language is not correct :oops: but these tusks are from Africa, are typical of the wild pig.
You know the mosaics of Piazza Armerina? They are wonderful, depicting hunting scenes. In one of them is shown a roman hunting in Africa and you see examples of such animal.
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Romans were known to go to Africa and search for strange, new animals for the arenas. If warthogs could be captured, there is a chance they might have made their way to Rome. A large boar and a warthog would have somewhat similar tusks, so the real significant difference might only be found in DNA.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Romans were known to go to Africa and search for strange, new animals for the arenas. If warthogs could be captured, there is a chance they might have made their way to Rome. A large boar and a warthog would have somewhat similar tusks, so the real significant difference might only be found in DNA.

Hi David,
right, the Romans captured many exotic animals for their shows!
Some time ago I read about a discovery of bones near the Coliseum where they were found a lot of bones of many exotic animals.
The "piazza armerina" mosaic's show these hunting expeditions not for killing but for capturing the animals.
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Imagine transporting a couple of giraffes (camelopardalis) in an open Roman ship. Must have been quite a trick. Or a very unhappy Water Buffalo (urus). Not all fun and games for the crew -- :|
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Ok guys,
pendants are finally finished.
I made the final steps and polished it ... I hope you like them :wink:

[Image: IMG_0008800x600.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0025800x600.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0031800x600.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0029800x600-2.jpg]
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Nice work, Marco!

They must be heavy as a pendant being so large. Is your example as big?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Looks like the two tusks came from the same animal, as they are nearly exact mirror copies of each other.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hi guys,

Robert, pendants are about 10-12cm and are not very heavy, are much comfortable to wear :wink:

David, these two are very similar but not belong to the same animal. When I find two of the same animal can make such a replica
look here [url:3g909qb5]http://www.britishmuseum.org/explore/highlights/highlight_objects/pe_prb/b/boars_tusk_pendant.aspx[/url]
CIAO from Italy

Marco
Oh those turned out VERY nice.
"This was the age of heroes, some legendary, some historical . . . the misty borderland of history where fact and legend mingle."
- R. Ewart Oakeshott

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pendant pteruges? richard robinson 0 912 06-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Last Post: richard robinson