Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antique Helms
I just read a post on another list that mentions a book called "Antique Helms" or such, that is supposed to have pictures of every Roman helmet in existance, side by side? What is this book, how useful is it, and where can you buy it?<br>
<br>
Or is this really Junkelmann's book "Romische Helme"? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc@romanarmytalk>RichSC</A> at: 3/27/03 2:57:22 pm<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I stand corrected: I got this from Dave Michaels of Legio VI in California:<br>
<br>
anyone ever seen this?<br>
<br>
The book I refer to is "Antike Helm / Handbuch Mit Katalog." This is a catalog of a special exhibition of the Lipperheide and Bestande private collections at the Antikkenmuseum of Berlin in 1988. The publisher is listed<br>
as "Verlag Des Romische-Germanischen Zentralmuseums, Mainz 1988." The cataloguing is by Angelo Bottini, Markus Egg, Fredrich-Wilhelm von hase, Hermann Pflug, Ulrich Schaaf, Peyer Schauer, and Gotz Waurick (who wrote the<br>
Rooman section). The book is 542 pages with hundreds of black and white and beautiful color photos. The actual catalog lists 122 Greek, Celtic, Etruscan and Roman (both military and gladiatorial) helmets, most photogrpahed from multiple angles. However, the text portion also has photographs of many other helmets, including the Nijegen, Haltern, Verdun, Mainz-Weisenau (the prototype for most repro Imperial Gallic G helmets), Vindonissa, Mainz,<br>
Brigetio, Hebron, Theilenhofen, Mainz-Weisenau ("Italic D" type), and Niedermorter helms. There is also a chart which shows development of the Roman helmet; all the types Robinson classified as "Imperial Gallic" and "Imperial Gallic" are classified as "Weisenau typpen" without distinction to whether they have embossed "eyebrows" or not.<br>
<br>
It's not an easy book to get these days; when I said "I" got a hold of one, I mean my company, Freeman & Sear (which deals in coins and antiquities, including the occasional Greek and Roman helmet), purchased one in Munich recently. My boss was delighted to find a fresh, shrink-wrapped copy and paid through the nose (over $250) for it. He found it at an antiquity dealer's<br>
shop. I'm not sure where else it might be available.<br>
<p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
That book can still be bought at the Römisch Germanisches Zentralmuseum in Mainz. I remember it was expensive, but not that expensive, not by a long shot! <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Salve,<br>
<br>
Lat year I purchased a copy at the RGZM in Mainz. To spare my conscience too much trouble regarding my spending habits on books I do not recall the exact price, but it wasn't cheap.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
I'm sorry for your conscience, Sander - and for you, Rich, bad <em>and</em> good news: The price of the book (still available/full ref. below) is "only" 77 Euros.<br>
<br>
BOTTINI, Angelo, EGG, Markus, VON HASE, Friedrich-Wilhelm, PFLUG, Hermann, SCHAAFF, Ulrich, SCHAUER, Peter, and WAURICK, Götz: "Antike Helme. Sammlung Lipperheide und andere Bestände des Antikenmuseums Berlin." Monographien des RGZM Band 14. Mainz (Verlag des Römisch-Germanischen Zentralmuseums) 1988; 550 pp., hardbound with dj. ISBN 3-88467-019-0. Description and legitimate praise: see Rich's post!<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin <p></p><i></i>
I don't suppose they have a web site? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
They do but it's just a one page teaser with no other links or the usual bookshop link. www.mainz.de/kultur/museen/kul009.htm <p>Just a filthy guy swingin' a hammer</p><i></i>
Dean Cunningham,

Metalsmith, Father, dilettante
Salve,<br>
<br>
My conscience appreciates your concern.<br>
<br>
The dust jacket had a price of 195 DM printed on it. The $250 price tag seems a bit excessive.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
The fellow who originally posted corrected himself to say his boss bought it for 75 euros. So Sander, is the book worth it? I was thinking of starting a snail mail order with them, or asking Oxbow if this is something they would add to their inventory.<br>
<p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Salve,<br>
<br>
That depends on your point of view and your particular interests. It should be noted that this book does not limit itself to only Roman military hardware, containing helmets including ones from Mesopotamia, various Italic peoples, Greek (Magna Graecia in Southern Italy) as well as gladiator helmets. It does not provide a catalogue of all known Roman helmets either. For people with no German or only interested in pictures there is a thinner and cheaper guide available of the same title.<br>
<br>
Egg, M., <em>Antike Helme</em> (Mainz 198 550p.<br>
Pflug, H., <em>Antike Helme</em> (Bonn 1989) 76p.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
I'm greatly interested in all ancient military equipment, so this is a must have for me. Richard if you do this let me know I may want both of the books (gotta have shop copies). <p>Just a filthy guy swingin' a hammer</p><i></i>
Dean Cunningham,

Much to Oxbow/David Brown's credit, they're working on obtaining it. If you have a phone number for the museum perhaps they can arrange getting some. I'll pass along all the info I can. I think they would be quite pleased to sell several copies. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Telephones +49 (0) 6131 9 12 40<br>
Fax +49 (0) 6131 9 12 41 99<br>
<br>
Tel: +49 6131 23 22 31<br>
<br>
Römisch-Germanisches Zentralmuseum<br>
Kurfürstliches Schloß<br>
55116 Mainz<br>
<br>
translate.google.com/tran...8%26sa%3DN<br>
<br>
www.kulturland.rlp.de/vde...anstid=503<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
These are what I came up with. <p>Just a filthy guy swingin' a hammer</p><i></i>
Dean Cunningham,

Notice the shield in the background of the picture. I want everything this museum publishes. I really have to learn to speak German. Damn how am I supposed to keep my (barely) conversational Japanese and Spanish up if I'm also trying to learn German? <p>Just a filthy guy swingin' a hammer</p><i></i>
Dean Cunningham,

Many thanks Dean! I'm sending that along to Oxbow/Brown and see if that helps them nail it down. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?