Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trypanon/Borer translation help needed
Can anyone help with a solid english translation of Athenaeus Mechanicus, especially the sections pertaining to borers and ram-tortoises? I originally got interested in the borer because of the reference that the beam travelled in a syrinx like that in a catapult, now I'm building a scale model to try and figure out exactly how it might have functioned. Thus far I've only had Vitruvius's text and a few other interpretations (Campbell, Nossov, et al) to work from. Any translations of what Wescher, Lendle, or others had to say on the matter would certianly be appreciated. I've gotten one crude version to function the way I think it should, but before I go much further it would help to have the rest of the source material and expert opinions.
Thanks,
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
From the Greek point of vew

TRYPA = hole

TRYPO (verb) to poen a hole to drill

TRYPANON = a tool for opening holes

In my opinion technical manuals of early 20th century give fairly accurate translations

Borer is accurate in my opinion

Kind regards
Thanks,
As rusty as my two years of school Latin are, all I can manage in Greek is to order dinner, get drunk, and get my face slapped. :wink: While that met my immdediate needs in the past, it isn't much help on more cerebral tasks.
I guess what I'm really asking for is help in locating an English translation of Athanaeus's text along with any published theories how the machine that he and Vitruvius credit to Diades might really have worked.
Apollodorus and Anonymous Byzantine wrote of another smaller type of borer with a pointier bit that functioned more like a standard bow-drill. There seems to be general agreement that that type would have worked on mud-brick walls by exerting significant pressure on the heel of the bit and rotating it with the rope wrapped around it. I am more interested in references to the Diades type machine.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"