Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucius Verus with Commodus as heir
I find this timeline curious:

161 – Marcus and Lucius Verus become co-emperors
161 – Lucius Verus engaged to Marcus’ daughter.
161 – Commodus born to Marcus.
162 – Annius Verus born to Marcus.
163-164 – Lucius Verus marries Marcus’ daughter.
165 – Lucius Verus has baby girl.
166 – Commodus and Annius Verus made Caesars.

Marcus’ young boys were made Caesar while Lucius Verus was still alive. Moreover, there was every possibility that Lucius Verus would have sons in the future (he had one later, in fact, but the boy died young). The Historia Augusta states:

Quote: …Lucius demanded that Marcus triumph with him, and demanded also that the name Caesar should be given to Marcus' sons.

Marcus Aurelius, 12.8

This seems odd to me. Why would Lucius Verus “demand” the naming of Marcus’ male children as Caesars?
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:Marcus’ young boys were made Caesar while Lucius Verus was still alive.

If I understand you correctly, you seem to imply that this would have been an insult to Lucius Verus. But he outranked them as Augustus, "emperor".
Quote:Moreover, there was every possibility that Lucius Verus would have sons in the future ...
And they would, presumably, have become Caesar, too.
Quote:Why would Lucius Verus “demand” the naming of Marcus’ male children as Caesars?
I don't know. But it doesn't seem odd or sinister to me. It is simply a mark of respect, isn't it? (Or am I missing something? It's very cold in Glasgow, and my brain may not be functioning fully. :wink: )
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Maybe I'm just being cynical. By all accounts the two worked together better than probably any other imperial partners throughout Rome's history. Still, I think it strange that one emperor would want (or even "demand") the sons of his partner to be declared heirs. I don't know how long Lucius Verus' son lived, but as far as I am aware he was never declared Caesar.

Maybe I'm so used to emperors spending all their time trying to kill each other that this happy partnership seems so odd. It's almost too good to be true.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
If this is the 12:8 you have quoted where the word "demand" has appeared in translation...

"Corona praeterea civica oblata est ambobus; petitque Lucius, ut secum Marcus triumpharet. petit praetera Lucius, ut filii Marci Caesares appellarentur."

One's own translation can find "petitque" and "petit" as:

pet.it V 3 1 PRES ACTIVE IND 3 S
peto, petere, petivi, petitus V (3rd) [XXXAX]
attack; aim at; desire; beg, entreat, ask (for); reach towards, make for;

not necessarily "demand"

Just a suggestion to remove the need for cynicism perhaps?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I have the impression these were stock statements meant to convey the loyalty of the other partner in a political relationship. It seems to crop up quite a bit.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Commodus and his swivel chair Eleatic Guest 15 3,773 09-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Octavianvs
  Allan Massie: heir to Robert Graves? richsc 0 1,423 12-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Last Post: richsc