Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ancient sources
does anyone know if there are english translations of either Varro or Vegetius on the net?<br>
<br>
regards,<br>
<br>
Tim Edwards. <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
A translation of Vegetius, though a rather loose one, can be found at this site. I have one in preparation for the romanarmy.com site, with commentary to be added later on, that should be more precise.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
thanks sander,<br>
can you give me the reference to the edition you used for the quote about soldiers' names (2.1. if you could supply the translator, date and place published i would be greatly indebted.<br>
If it's not asking too much, do you have a copy, on the net or on paper, of Varro, Ling.5. 115? I have been unsucessful in tracking this down.<br>
Also, where did you get the information about cedar being used for the board fragments loaned to Trier University? any idea whether the rectangular scutum was laminate or simply plank like the rest??<br>
Finally can I formally acknowledge your assistance in my dissertation?<br>
<br>
Thanks again for your help,<br>
<br>
Salve,<br>
<br>
The Latin text used of quotes from Vegetius is generally taken from those available on the web, all of which are ultimately originating from M. Bishop's site, according to which the text is from Lang's 2nd edition of 1885. Translations provided in posts are my own to avoid copyright issues.<br>
<br>
The rest I would have to look up.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Hi Tim,<br>
The only source I know for the fragments of cedar planking still adhering to the (unidentifyed) leather of the round convex shields from Egypt at Trier is:<br>
<br>
Klaus-Peter Goethert 'Neue römische Prunkschilde'<br>
<br>
in Marcus Junkelmann's Reiter wie Statuen aus Erz pp. 115-126.<br>
<br>
Vale<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
There is a translation of Vegetius on amazon.com by Milner.<br>
<br>
Pricey though.<br>
<br>
ISBN: 0313246904<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
There is also a dutch translation of vegetius available.<br>
<br>
gr, jeroen <p></p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
cheers chaps!<br>
<br>
all i need now is that Varro reference, thanks for your help.<br>
<br>
regards,<br>
<br>
greetings all,<br>
<br>
now it seems I need the follwing passages, concerning shields:<br>
<br>
Plutarch. Vit Roma 21.1<br>
Atheniodorus. 6.273<br>
&<br>
Varro. Ling.5. 115.<br>
<br>
i cant find them on the net, and am miles away from the nearest decent library, can anyone help? <br>
<br>
Tim Edwards.<br>
(recurrent pest!) <p></p><i></i>
Aren't you looking for Varro 5.24? That's the only chapter that has the word scut[] in it.<br>
By the way Varro is on the net, at [url=http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/" target="top]this site[/url].<br>
The chapter I'm referring to runs:Quote:</em></strong><hr>Arma ab arcendo, quod his arcemus hostem. Parma, quod e medio in omnis partis par. Conum, quod cogitur in cacumen versus. Hasta, quod astans solet ferri. Iaculum, quod ut iaciatur fit. Tragula a traiciendo. Scutum a sectura ut secutum, quod a minute consectis fit tabellis. Umbones a Graeco, quod ambones. <hr>Was this what you're looking for?<br>
<br>
Plutarch can be found in translation [url=http://classics.mit.edu/Browse/index.html" target="top]here[/url]. The work is split up according to subject, so your reference of 21.1 is of little use in trying to find the proper section. Unfortunately the site has been severely damaged and of many lives only the first portion survives.<br>
Some of Plutarch's lives are on [url=http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cache/perscoll_Greco-Roman.html" target="top]this site[/url].<br>
I can't help you with Atheniodorus. <p>Greetings<br>
<br>
Rob Wolters</p><i></i>
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me cite ancient sources quickly! frostee 13 3,737 06-30-2010, 01:42 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
  Finding roman and other ancient military sources online? Aulus Perrinius 7 2,021 02-18-2010, 06:14 AM
Last Post: Justin of the New Yorkii