Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Equestrian Statue of Trajan
New finds from the Frankfurt suburb of Nieder-Eschbach are shedding light on the end of the limes. A hoard of coins deposited after AD 260 -- it includes issues of Gallienus -- were found near fragments of an equestrian statue of Trajan -- the rider's hairstyle is the giveaway. (They are drawing a comparison with the fragments from Waldgirmes.) Archaeologists surmise that these -- a smashed-up statue and a concealed hoard of coins -- are indications of the unrest on the frontier in the years after AD 260.

Reports here and here and here and here (all in German).

(Thanks to Siggi K. for the heads-up.)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Thank you for posting these links. German dictionary at the ready!

EDIT: I was getting all excited about the equestrian statue but, from my brief scan of the links above, do I take it that the horse's head is from a seperate statue find and the new one of Trajan's statue is all fragments (seen attached to the mock up)?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:..., do I take it that the horse's head is from a seperate statue find and the new one of Trajan's statue is all fragments
Yup. Horse's head from Waldgirmes. Bits'n'pieces from Nieder-Eschbach.
Alles ist klar, danke!

The photographs of the reconstruction of the head is what misled me at first although they do clarify it in the article - just wanted to be sure.

Is there a seperate report on the horse's head? This seems to have escaped me!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Maybe someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse? :roll: :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Is the statue complete from Waldgrimes? I Googled for images and all that came up was the head of a horse. I am sure there must be more to determine it was Augustus. Thus are they still working on assembling the Augustus statue or are they leaving it in fragments?
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:Maybe someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse? :roll: :lol:

:roll: indeed!

Big Grin
Moi Watson

Quote:I am sure there must be more to determine it was Augustus.
I may be wrong, but I believe that it was simply based on the location of the find in an Augustan "town" (or, as I prefer, fortress!). :wink:
Quote:an Augustan "town" (or, as I prefer, fortress!). :wink:

Glad I'm not the only one who has problems with the nomenclature.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Thanks for the response. It would have been awesome if the whole thing would have been found just like the Aurelius one in the Capitoline museum.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
There was a thread on RAT some time ago about the head IIRC?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
AH! Thanks GJC...will go a searching....
Moi Watson

Hi,
.....since my time is limited more than usual right now, I did not exactly know what to do with it, when I ran into earlier reports of this,--- so I simply asked DB for advice.
The whole thing would have "cooked up" sooner or later, I presume.
So my thanks go to DB for digging up the other stuff, because after my first sources popped up, these had let down to speculations about the dating of the coins that came with the statue, -- and I had no time to do further "snooping"
by myself. :wink:
As to Roman bronce statues --- I already had pointed to a special task-force that was set up to deal with those thing -- here:
EDIT : Naaawwww , it shoulda been that one :
link from old RAT
.... and if I got the right link, there has already been Jona Lendering's informations about the Waldgirmes pieces --- and the accompanying discussion, here:
link from old RAT
(I'll have to delve into those links again and see, whether those institutions mentioned have alread reacted to that Trajan statue. :roll: )

Greez & Thanks

Simplex
Siggi K.
Thanks for the link Siggi!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  equestrian statue of marcus aurelius 174 A.D. fattkid08 4 6,099 11-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  Good image of Balbus equestrian statue Mitra 3 1,559 06-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Last Post: Et tu brute
  Trajan column equestrian order marcii ulpi messala 0 907 02-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Last Post: marcii ulpi messala