Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hemp sling construction
Perhaps Herodotus implies that the Greeks were not generally familiar with hemp cloth,but since Aesop who lived in the 6th century bc mentions cords and nets made by a man who cultivates hemp,i think it is certainly safe to assume that a 5th century sling could have been made by hemp,in Greece.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Most reeds, rushes and other water grasses have nice long fibers that would lend themselves to making cord, which then could be braided for slings and other purposes. The less splices, the better, so the longer the fiber, the better. I've twisted some string/cord from cattail leaves, while sitting in a park by a pond--enjoying some pleasant sunshine with my wife and my Sheltie. Good cord, good day.

In the US, giant ragweed (Ambrosia trifida) has very long fibers and could be used perfectly well. I've considered retting some each spring for the last few years, but just haven't yet. (Two years ago, we had a very wet spring, and the giant ragweed grew twenty feet tall in some places beside the roads around here. Twenty foot fibers would make a fine sling cord, seems to me.)

http://news.uns.purdue.edu/images/+2007 ... agweed.jpg
Note how much the plant visually resembles hemp, which is, by the way, still highly illegal to grow in the US. Not sure how the producers of hemp fiber manage to get their product. Don't ask, don't tell, I suppose.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.