Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flodden excavation and archaeological survey
flodden excavation and survey is to search the area of flodden field (were the battle of flodden took place, apparently) for conclusive evidence to make sure this was the battle site. nobody has searched the area before so it was very interesting. me and a team of archaeologists from the coquet participated. we field walked and metal detected the site and found, a hammered coin dating to the battle, over 150 flints(all worked) a possible stone cannonball, medieval buckle, roman trumpet brooch, lots of sharperning stones with crevises in to smooth cannonballs and lots of medieval and iron age pot fragments. unfortunatly this is not what we were looking for. the evidence we needed had to be firm, such as iron cannonballs and weopons. think of all the things that would have been dropped in this huge battle beetween the scottish and the english. we will return after the crops have been harvested to the fields surounding the area but the site were the monument stands is looking like it is in the wrong place!

S
sacha
Hi sacha,

Exiting!
Quote: archaeologists from the coquet
Wot's the 'coquet'?
Quote: found, a hammered coin dating to the battle, over 150 flints(all worked) a possible stone cannonball, medieval buckle, roman trumpet brooch, lots of sharperning stones with crevises in to smooth cannonballs and lots of medieval and iron age pot fragments
Clear evidence for a battle between Romans and Scots using cannons! Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
hi

the coquet is a part of northumberland (north of england) so archaeologists from that area.

yes the evidence is not very clear. you would at first glancre think the romans had advanced in warfare and found cannons to fight the scots as there is more roman evidence there than english!

very confusing stuff but we hope to find it in the next field along when we search that.
sacha
You may not find much. the Scots were not in the habit of dropping anything of value, and the English were definitely in the habit of picking up anything of value, so I suspect they left behind a very tidy battlefield. I can't imagine how they missed that coin.
Pecunia non olet
Quote:me and a team of archaeologists ...
Was it my good friend Tony Pollard?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Robert.
Where you have asked Wot's the coquet sacha has not been exact in his explanation, for the Coquet happens to be the Longest river in the county of Northumberland. What he has not mentioned but is trying to refer to is the area of Northumberland known as Coquetdale, in fact the source of this river is very near to the Roman site known as Chew Green on the bourder between England and Scotland ( a fantastic site with several large overlapping Roman Marching Camps ) however is difficult to get to for it is in a Modern Military range.
Brian Stobbs
Thanks Brian!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
thanks brian im not used to explaining the coquet

the archaeologist was Chris brugess.

and indeed the english would have picked up a lot of the metal objects. also the battle was fought on boggy ground, this would be easyer for coins and the such to sink into the ground below metal detecting levels.

any more questions?

S
sacha
sacha.

I'm not so sure that many coins would be likely to come from a battle field, for soldiers hid their money the night before a battle around about camp sites hence the reason for hoards being found in modern times.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:... soldiers hid their money the night before a battle around about camp sites hence the reason for hoards being found in modern times.
It's a nice idea, but I can't think of any (Roman) examples to support it. Can you?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
indeed. it would be very unwise to take a lot of coins and purses onto the battlefield, as it would probobly hinder you and also it would not be safe, so this we do not think is the battlefield. a further mile to the north archaeologists have found a gold french coin, probobly from the mercenerys who were in the battle also.
sacha