Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The purpose of the Late Roman Draco standard.
Quote:
ValentinianVictrix:3o5iw8nv Wrote:I think modern authors counsel some caution when reading early Christian writers, they had an agenda to ensure that their faith was promoted at every opportunity. We cannot be too sure if what Eusbius states is bald fact or was it Christian propaganda?

Any evidence is better than none, and bear in mind that Eusebius is supported by numismatic evidence.

Agreed, but upto a point. I have championed the cause of Late Roman infantry not only wearing mail and scale hauberks, but also wearing muscle cuirasses, this based on wall paintings, murals, mosaics and monumental evidence. However, I find few who share my view based on this type of 'evidence'.

Do we also then believe Ammianus when he states Late Roman legiones were still made up of maniples, centuries, cohorts etc? That velites were still being used? (I've no reason to doubt him but most modern historians do)

Evidence is not always evidence it would seem.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar

Messages In This Thread
Re: The purpose of the Late Roman Draco standard. - by ValentinianVictrix - 12-09-2010, 12:23 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Draco standard Robert Vermaat 93 20,054 09-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Michael Kerr
  The purpose of the Antonine Wall Epictetus 13 4,287 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Last Post: NUNU
  Cat-castle (double-purpose siege tower) Eleatic Guest 9 2,662 10-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar