Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The purpose of the Late Roman Draco standard.
Quote:
ValentinianVictrix:3j6hoxiq Wrote:
D B Campbell:3j6hoxiq Wrote:Would you then argue that the vexillum was "the physical representation of the emperor", as well?
Yes, that is a vexing question, because this would also be the first time a vexilla standard is mentioned as being purple in colour. My only thought on this is that the Draco windsock was purple, and that is borne out by the other descriptions posted, and the material was ripped from those standards, along with the purple adornment on the vexilla standards, which everyone assumes is normally red in colour (which I agree with having a number of colour photographs of vexilla standards depicted from murals and wall paintings, all of which show them in the typical red colour).
Well, there we have it - as the word for purple (purpure) can be interpreted as red as well, and vexilla have been known to be of a red colour, how purple was this 'purpure' in the case of Silvanus? Andeed of the other dracones? Bright purple or perhaps more red than we have assumed here so far?

The Fectio draco always has had a bright purple tail:
[Image: DSC02133.jpg]

You have certainly opened this debate up to even more questioning!

So, we could either have the Draco standards in a purple colour, or both the Draco's and the Vexilla standards in a uniform red. In either case, I think the evidence shows that the Draco standard was a uniform colour and that it remained this colour in whatever unit it was attached to.

Now, if only we could narrow down its purpose... :lol:
Adrian Coombs-Hoar

Messages In This Thread
Re: The purpose of the Late Roman Draco standard. - by ValentinianVictrix - 12-03-2010, 04:35 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Draco standard Robert Vermaat 93 20,054 09-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Michael Kerr
  The purpose of the Antonine Wall Epictetus 13 4,287 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Last Post: NUNU
  Cat-castle (double-purpose siege tower) Eleatic Guest 9 2,663 10-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar