Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The purpose of the Late Roman Draco standard.
Quote:You have proposed that the eagle was the 'physical representation of the Emperor' for the lgions. I do not think that the latter was the case. Eagles (and originally other animals) were the deities of the legions long before there even was a Roman emperor. Do we have evidence that somewhere along the line, the eagle BECAME the 'physical representation of the Emperor"?

re: your point on the eagles - we do have evidence in Suetonius that the Julio-Claudian emperors, Augustus in particular, attempted to link themselves with the eagle (I'll find the exact reference for you) - more broadly we should also remember that Tacitus gives us evidence that from the reign of Tiberius that the signa (by which I mean all types of standards) were considered a gift of the emperor to a unit (Tac 1.42.3). Finally, the integration into the imperial calendar of the signa, as well as the central role the standards played in the swearing of the Sacramentum and in set imperial ceremony cannot be underestimated (a good example is from the fragment of Dexippus that describes Aurelian hosting enemy emissaries.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The purpose of the Late Roman Draco standard. - by markhebb - 12-03-2010, 10:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Draco standard Robert Vermaat 93 20,021 09-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Michael Kerr
  The purpose of the Antonine Wall Epictetus 13 4,276 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Last Post: NUNU
  Cat-castle (double-purpose siege tower) Eleatic Guest 9 2,647 10-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar