Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The purpose of the Late Roman Draco standard.
Quote:Moved from the thread about auxiliary standards:

ValentinianVictrix:3uu2nfhg Wrote:Whithout appearing to be overflating my ego, I believe I am the only person to have made this connection, and I am astonished that no historian, including Matthews, has examined this matter as I believe it really merits further investigation. It may well be that as the Roman state became 'Christianised' that another means had to be found to represent the Emperor, as human representation such as imagio's may have fallen out of favour as they may have been reserved soley to represent Christ himself.
Maybe others who thought of it found too little evidence to make a case for it? Just speculating of course.
Your ideas about Chritianization I must rject, because the representation of the imperial family continues throughout the 4th and 5th century - there's no evidence that this became reserved for Christ only. We find the images of emperors on shields and banners I think, so there would be no reason that this was dropped during the period we're discussing.
Quote:Just because no source confirms what I have stated does not disprove it, only that perhaps the sources are there but no historian has bothered to make the link.
Well, that's not how I like to discuss evidence. Just because there's no source confirming something, usually means there's no way to confirm it. If you still want to maintain something without proper evidence from any source, you're on purely speculative ground. If there are indeed sources out there, but yet unmentioned (which is of course possible), I'd suggest you find them, but in the meantime admit that there is not enough evidence.

What do you consider 'proper evidence'? I have shown two passages from one source that indicate that the Draco's were purple, and that in one such instance they were not in the presence of the Emperor himself. We know that purple was the imperial colour, so why make the Draco's that colour if their only purpose was to act as a windsock, indicating the wind direction, as you stated?
Adrian Coombs-Hoar

Messages In This Thread
Re: The purpose of the Late Roman Draco standard. - by ValentinianVictrix - 12-03-2010, 10:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Draco standard Robert Vermaat 93 20,021 09-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Michael Kerr
  The purpose of the Antonine Wall Epictetus 13 4,276 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Last Post: NUNU
  Cat-castle (double-purpose siege tower) Eleatic Guest 9 2,647 10-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar