Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The purpose of the Late Roman Draco standard.
Quote:Bah Humbug!! :lol: Big Grin

Actually...that's a darned good translation in my book becasue it is the RIDING that is colourful not the banners Big Grin

The strips of cloth also suggest to me something like a harlequin effect on the tail...or a Joseph Coat for that matter... so they could have been of any colour :lol: so yes Mark, multi coloured.

I'm not entirely convinced about the multi-coloured theory as all that we can tell from the quote is that the Draco's mentioned here were made from coloured cloth strips, which could mean either different colours or that the strips were of the same uniform colour.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Quote:The strips of cloth also suggest to me something like a harlequin effect on the tail...or a Joseph Coat for that matter... so they could have been of any colour :lol: so yes Mark, multi coloured.
I suddenly remembered Peter Connolly's painting of the Hippika Gymnasia (in The Cavalryman, Oxford 1988, p. 23). I hope he won't mind me posting a small part of his excellent painting here:
[attachment=0:9xn71h6i]<!-- ia0 Connolly_HippikaGymnasia.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:9xn71h6i]
Quote:I'm not entirely convinced about the multi-coloured theory as all that we can tell from the quote is that the Draco's mentioned here were made from coloured cloth strips, which could mean either different colours or that the strips were of the same uniform colour.
Oh, but there's more. I simply didn't want to spoil all of Moi's fun! :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Well remembered Duncan. I've seen that before too.

And yes, the strips of cloth could all be the same colour but this version of the translation seems to knock the "wind sock" idea on the head. And I am not sure how many horses would be completely happy with a bit of dragon/serpent's tail flapping around their heads particularly when their vision was obscured by chamfrons.

Then again, they'd have to get on with it really! :wink:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Oh, but there's more. I simply didn't want to spoil all of Moi's fun! :wink:
yes - you have cheekily stopped before the really crucial sentence...I want to see what everyone makes of it....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Draco standard Robert Vermaat 93 19,703 09-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Last Post: Michael Kerr
  The purpose of the Antonine Wall Epictetus 13 4,186 07-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Last Post: NUNU
  Cat-castle (double-purpose siege tower) Eleatic Guest 9 2,548 10-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar