Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hannibal As Music Video
This group is turning out some clever videos using modern melodies to re-tell ancient history.

This video about Hannibal is very amusing, but even more interesting is the footage from the Mussolini backed film, Scipio Africanus. The pre-CGI elephant army is really quite remarkable. Oh the Il Duce ... What a film maker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1NFrNv0Jis

And here is one about Odysseus set to the Beatles' "Across The Universe."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdTigtNMmDQ

All very amusing.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Awesome! Thanks for the link.

I think this one is my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GBnJe_x8sA
That is a good one too.

Clever group putting these together.

And speaking of Women in Ancient History ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVE7RqQw ... re=related

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Thanks Narukami - I really enjoyed the Odyssey one...and the original Hannibal film would be great to see!
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I finally got the Scipio Africanus DVD. It did have a few parts with better than expected details that Hollywood would have never gotten right, but overall it was kind of boring. I did find it amusing that everyone who lived in Rome, and I mean everyone, did nothing but wander around with a fascist salute all the time. How long can you hold your right arm up? It seems like a 24/7 thing in this film. Eat, sleep, everything with your arm up in a fascist salute. I have some questions about the authenticity of this.

Carthagenians seem to have lived in direct replicas of Assyrian palaces, just like Nineva. They, however, did not spend the whole day with their arms up in a salute. Probably why they lost the war, what with weaker right arms. The Carthagenian soldiers did seem to have plenty of time to leer at virtuous Roman women captives, who refused their advances and modestly kept ther faces covered and averted their eyes from the lecherous gaze of the unwashed grubby Carthagenians. Roman soldiers never seem to have such ill manners and obviously had much better upbringing.

Borrrow or rent a copy. Don't buy one.

@ Narukami- Osprey has a new one out: Samurai Women, 1184- 1877. One hopes for enough of us to become enlightened and to form a Tomeo Gozen fan club.

Ralph
A new book on Samurai Women eh ... sounds interesting. I'll have to look for that. A fan club for Tomoe Gozen -- sign me up. I love a woman who confirms her love by taking the head of an enemy!

Thanks for the report on Mussolini's Scipio Africanus film -- I have it on my Amazon list and it is, as far as I can determine, the only film about Scipio or Zama. However, I am not surprised that it is less than exciting. Mussolini certainly had his own agenda and entertainment was not high on the list. That said, I am impressed by how many elephants he assembled for the film. Helps to be Il Duce.

As for how long the Romans could hold the Fascist Salute ... I am reminded of a minor 1966 Italian Film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061599/ that saw a limited release in the US under the title War Italian Style. What makes this film memorable is the performance by Buster Keaton as the the German General Kassler who speaks not a word throughout the entire film until the very end we he utters a simple "Thank you." and walks off into the countryside.

The best scene is of the General leaving his headquarters. Tired of have to salute every five seconds he wears a special overcoat with a fake right arm raised in a perpetual salute. Small laughs, but with Keaton as the General the scene becomes a prime example of his comic genius. I can not recommend the film in and of itself, but for Keaton's performance it may be worth enduring the other parts.

Thanks again for the info on the new book -- I'll look for it. :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
No musical Hannibal collection is complete without JUPITER'S DARLING (1955) starring Howard Keel and Esther Williams. Esther is the Roman maiden Hannibal falls for. I mean, how can you go on conquering Rome if it means losing a babe like Esther? Of course, she gets to swim. It was in her MGM contract. Lots of elephants, lots of songs. Can't beat it.
Pecunia non olet
Narukami:
Quote:Thanks for the report on Mussolini's Scipio Africanus film -- I have it on my Amazon list and it is, as far as I can determine, the only film about Scipio or Zama. However, I am not surprised that it is less than exciting. Mussolini certainly had his own agenda and entertainment was not high on the list. That said, I am impressed by how many elephants he assembled for the film. Helps to be Il Duce.

Didn't Cabiria (1914, silent film classic) also include the battle of Zama? Scipio is definitely in it, but it's a while since I last saw it.

Thanks for the youtube links, they'll come in handy for my wife who teaches history to 6th graders, that'll lighten things up a bit.
Aka
Christoph
Right you are Niedel, Cabiria does have both Hannibal and Scipio, but the synopsis is unclear as to showing the actual Battle of Zama, though given the tenor of the film it would not surprise me either way.

Glad the Music Videos will be put to good use. I played the Hannibal video ("Stick it to old man Rome") for my grandson, who is in 5th grade) and he thought it very funny. The melody stuck with him and hopefully some of the information too.

Next time I'm subbing in the middle school grades I'm going to try and fit it in ... somehow.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:A new book on Samurai Women eh ... sounds interesting. I'll have to look for that. A fan club for Tomoe Gozen -- sign me up. I love a woman who confirms her love by taking the head of an enemy!

Narukami

OK David, today I got the book Samurai Women 1184-1877. Plenty of paparazzi wood-cuts of knock-out Tomeo Gozen to “oooh!” over. And all the armor! What more can a groupie go for? No fold-outs though. Have to talk to Osprey about that. Much more information than I thought, including photos of armors known to have been owned by Samurai women such as Lady Tsuruhime, of the 1540s.

Think about it. What more can you want than a beautiful woman who actually understands why all of us on this forum really need all those swords and suits of armor we buy. This is even if she may be capable of taking the best of them for herself. And make you do the laundry.

Ralph

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I need ROMANS for a MUSIC VIDEO! MrPeterRossiter 6 2,068 11-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Last Post: Narukami
  Battle of Actium Music Video Gaius Colletti 0 1,045 07-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Gaius Colletti
  Music video with Gladitorial fighting Arthes 5 1,697 05-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Arthes