Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tweak my T&Y (linothorax/spolas) pattern, ca 500bc
This project has ground to a halt since I really can't buy the large quantity of tin bronze sheet, that I must purchase in order to get a decent price (see my earlier rant).

To overcome the inertia I have decided to at least restart by doing the invisible metal parts in steel. Well, actually, these pictures detail a steel insert for the chest area that I intend to shape so that the bottom part gets turned up to become a visible rim. I will turn it up half way and then emboss it with some pattern, and then turn it the full 180 degress (see the attached sketch). I will fasten it temporarily with pins.

In case I really don't like the idea of visible steel I can always cut it off later and only keep the hidden steel plate and make a new rim in bronze. But its going to be good to at least see if steel could look acceptable in case I go with it for scales as well. We do know that contemporary Persians, Skythians and/or Thracians could use iron/steel scales in their tube and yoke thorakes so it should be a possibility for Greeks.

[attachment=3194]Tubeandyokeinsert.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3195]Tubeandyokechestplate.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=3196]Tubeandyokeinsertandrim.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
Re: Tweak my T&Y (linothorax/spolas) pattern, ca 500bc - by Daniel S. - 02-28-2012, 01:51 AM