Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tweak my T&Y (linothorax/spolas) pattern, ca 500bc
Hey -- have all my attached pictures vanished with the move to the new forum system?

Anyway, here are some new. First off are some close-ups of the process of cutting and smoothing the edges of the pteruges. There is also a picture of the first leather parts added to the shoulder flaps.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I have decreased the length of the pteruges with around 1,5 cm. Now the pteruges do not reach the chair when I sit down. I also improved the pattern of the shoulder flaps following Giannis comments. There are a couple of tweaks left to do with that pattern so I will finish the leather for the breast section before cutting out the shoulders.

Note that I have done a base in linen to have under the shoulders just as under the breast. The pteruges are just leather but being double layer should be plenty enough.

It looks a bit wonky but its getting harder to needle it together now that I have attached the real pteruges. Don't want to add the permanent attachement points yet as I have some more things to figure out with those.

Looking good,looking good! Can't wait to see it complete. One last suggestion at this point: i'd attach the shoulder piece at least 2cm or 3cm higher. Except if you should just tie the whole tube higher on your chest. I understand that now that you don't have the tieing points it's difficult to support all the thing with pins,in the correct place.
Keep up
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Looks really good. I might have to make a new one at some time in the near future.

Edward
Edward Lindey

A horse is a thing of beauty... none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.         Xenophon

Giannis -- You are right, the the yoke will attach one or two centimetres further down on the chest. I do however want to be able to fasten it to points at, or very near, the brass/bronze rim. That is, the rim that cover the top row of the front scales. I would prefer to have the points there instead of at, or under, the scales. If you have any suggestions for how to make the attachements points please let me know.

Edward -- Thanks for the encouragement. I will upload most of the progress pictures to my website and get back with the link -- in case there is anything with my patterns that could be helpful to anyone. I am however between internet providers right now so I only have a really slow connection so working with pictures take a while.

On a general note: I have found out that there exists bleached bee's wax. Together with some form of white powder that should work even better than regular yellow bee's wax (as per, if I recall correctly, Paul B's proposal on another thread). I really would like to avoid opaque colours as I want the structure of the leather to be clearly visible.
Hello Daniel.
The simplest attachment points would be simple bronze rings.These could also have a bronze disc under them,like the rosettes of the shield rings. You could make these discs yourself with a hole in the center and you could either make them a bit dished or carve a rosette/flower design if you trust your hand. Alternatively,you could order shield rosettes. DSC make them and also Talerwin forge ( http://www.talerwin.com/sheilds.htm ) have these ones that look good: http://www.talerwin.com/images/shieldima...CN1933.JPG
I had mine made by Matt Lukes. Try to find small diamter rings if you want to have a disk under them.
Tip: No matter where you want your shoulder flaps to reach,put the attachemt points some distance lower. You could either have one attachment in the center,two or even three,where there would be one for each flap,serving to keep them in place but the strings would be tied together to a third attachment point in the center.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Great, thanks! That's good to know that I should have one centre attachement point even if I want to attach the shoulder flaps separately
I do not seem to be able to see the patterns??
Daniel,you don't have to have a third attachment point,but if you want to,it is a valid option.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Ok, I see -- it does seem like a flexible arrangement to be able to easily change how the straps point to the shoulder.

I have attached a picture of the latest pattern for the shoulder flaps (it is the same pattern as that seen worn in the previously updated pictures). As can be seen I have increased the width of the gap between the neck and the shoulders and streamlined the width. They are still about 0,5 centimetres wider at the top of the shoulders than further towards the front but I think it looks better now.

Greg -- there seems to be an issue in some threads after this forum changed system whereby attached pictures have been lost. I don't have any ready-to-use patterns easily accessible in pdf., but I do have pictures of my working patterns that gives an idea of how I've been going about this. The pictures of the patterns are now available at my website: orderandcreativity.com. Don't mind the thin content and unfinished feel of the rest of the site as I am just starting it up.

Thanks for the pictures. They will be a great help.

Greg
I went with white acrylic paint and will experiment with some form of wax mix to protect it.

I wanted some pattern on the chest-piece but it took me a while to figure out how to do leather carving and stamping, and to select a design. I won't colour this design in addition to the white colour, as I want it to remain discrete. I am however thinking about adding the flower design to the back of the shoulders, and colour those red.

So, what remains to do is to wax the leather and to do all the fittings and decorations in metal and perhapsadd some additional leather carving and paint.

/Daniel S.

Good work! I was looking forward to your update and actually i was thinking about it these days. now the bronze will really add so much to the general impresion. And also the colour decoration.
You did really good job in the tooling.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Thanks Giannis -- It took a lot longer than I thought to get around with the paintjob. I had to do multiple very thin layers to avoid brush-lines. And with a baby in the house it wasn't often I could lay it out undisturbed on the living room floor.

Now I'll do some serious thinking on exactly what the decoration will look like.
Great workmanship. I like the pattern on the chest plate! Does the bottom of the shoulder yoke get in the way when you move you arm back?